1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple Tablet: unannounced but selling well

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

I'll take microsofts dual screen concept thanks!

3. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I'd rather not pay £600 for a netbook. As that's probably closer to the real price, once you factor in the Apple Tax.

4. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

yes. the courier concept is much more appealing.
    but you never know what apple are conjuring in their pristine white dungeons

5. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

I couldnt blindly buy something...

especially at those prices, the power of apples brand eh?

6. silverphoenix

silverphoenix What's a Dremel?

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

21% of those surveyed are idiots.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, if it's got full Mac OSX, capacitive touch, 1080p output, and under £600. i'll buy it.

but that's never going to happen, especially the full Mac OSX part.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

I really couldn't care what they are coming up with to be honest, I rather dislike the excessive markup of apple products far too much to buy into them

I own an iPod but in all honestly nothing they do has wowed me over since the iPod, and even then that's gotten stale over the past few generations so i dont see apple wowing me anytime soon

MS on the other hand keep pulling rabbits out of hats, Windows 7, Zune HD and looks set to continue the trend with Windows Mobile 7, Office 2010 and this concept etc

It reallys eems to me the shoe is really starting to be on the other foot

10. ano

ano 8-bit Bandit

Other sites are reporting that Jobs has forced a redesign twice and that it will be out in 2010 (http://bit.ly/120NBi). Personally I love the concept and have been aching for it for a couple of years given how much I use my Eee PC.

11. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Even if the hardware was as good as an Apple product it would still have MS s/w.

Win 7 is still f'ing horrible imo, they ruined windows explorer, control panel/registry are still abominations.
    Zune HD is a farse, only in US - ads that actually stop you using the app you wanted 40 seconds ago...
    Windows mobile 6.5 is the next release, with retarded hexagon space wasting design if they call it 7 they are just pulling the wool over your eyes like with win 7....
    What was wrong with office '03? They certainly didnt convince me with the retarded new file types that no-one could read for months...

On the tablet, I would only consider it if it were a full blown OS; the hardware would therefore be more like a laptop and not useless like a netbook...

12. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

All I want is a touchscreen with 1080p output. If this new Apple toy does it then its mine.

13. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

I don't understand how they are coming up with the assumed price-point of between £300-£400.

If I wanted to buy a brand new iPhone 3GS today (handset only) it would cost me £900 (http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=183742).

Surely a tablet is going to be more expensive than that.

Or does the assumed price include a ridiculous contract with a large monthly fee?

14. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

you are converting wrong. US->UK in electronics is a 1:1 rate right now. Ignore the currency conversions.

I for one would love some thing like a mac air in a 10-12" touch tablet form with room for a 3G sim card in it. Laptops on the couch and dinner table are not ideal for casual surfing and while the iPhone is good, I don't think the screen size is great for reading longer texts. Basically, a Touch with data connectivity and a bigger screen, more memory and a low power processor.

you mean 21% are people who's skin isn't so pale that it's transparent and who's overwhelming passion for hardware prevent them from having a normal life? 21% that want technology to mesh with their lifestyles and not need endless tinkering and a separate room for it? Face it, you aren't the consumer base that drives innovation. and most people want technology that works, and doesn't interfere with what they want to do. This format suits them, seeing the success of the iPhone and Macbook range proves that.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2009
  15. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

I was just quoting from the main story. But OK - if they are guessing that the price for a tablet will be between $400-$700 I don't see how this can possible be true given that the price of a 3GS handset is £900 ($900?).

Surely a tablet with a larger screen will be much more expensive than the phones, unless the prices they are quoting are those with a massive subsidy and hence a monthly contract to tie you in.

16. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Sooo who wants to bet it'll be exclusive to AT&T?

17. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Not a chance, what with the scrutiny they are getting in congress right now.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I have a (PC) tablet, and I would not consider myself an idiot as much as someone who has thought about what he needs in a laptop and how he uses it and found a tablet to be the best solution.

It's a decent thing, too. Up to 8 hours battery life, toughened daylight-readable WACOM screen with pressure-sensitive pen, Wifi, multiple microphones and speakers, fingerprint security, really rather good handwriting recognition, 1Ghz Pentium M, 2Gb RAM, 30Gb HDD. Construction is unusually good for a PC: glass-reinforced plastic shell over a magnesium frame. It is powerful enough to carry an office suite, drawing programs, OneNote, e-mail, Skype and web. It is really handy for sketching out diagrams or to run a Powerpoint from.

But it has its limitations too. Input is pen-only; signing up to a network is awkward; booting up from hibernation is slow and from Off excruciatingly slow, its Windows interface is clunky (with constant balloon nags) and not really that suitable for tablet use and I had to mod it a bit to make it more functional. Rotating the screen requires the press of a button; then watch the screen having to rebuild itself.

Here's teh money bit: although I eBayed mine for about £780,-- the cost as-new for a delectable item like this is £1200,--.

I also own an iPhone 3G. Its interface is used with almost telepathic ease (almost --even that has a few minor inconsistencies). It is snappy, intuitive, pre-emptive, light, has decent battery life; construction is solid. If Apple does make a tablet, I can't help but thinking that it is going to be a lot slicker and more practical than the PC-based unit I have now --and cheaper to boot.

Windows 7 is simply Vista Reloaded (with a wink towards Linux. Join the dark side, Bill). Zune HD is iPod Reloaded (and Zune does not talk to Urge, or any other Microsoft Plays-For-Sure certified distribution systems), Office 2010 is Office 2007 Reloaded. Windows Mobile 7 would have to be a major rebuild from the ground up to be anything near as functional as Google Android or Apple iPhone OS, but I suspect it will be Windows Mobile 6 with slightly prettier graphics. Big whoop.

Meanwhile Apple invented the One-Tunes-To-Rule-Them-All integrated system of a media device, computer software and marketplace that seamlessly interconnect. The iPhone is a small technological miracle --anyone who thinks it is not does not really understand hardware or the concept of convergence. The notebooks are engineering masterpieces. Every detail makes me practically weep with ergonomic joy. PCs and Microsoft products don't do that for me. With the possible occasional exception of Logitech.

Microsoft makes incremental improvements and modifications, but Apple innovates. Sorry.

19. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Appreciate your post, the time and effort you took to get it all down as well. Good stuff.

20. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

you aparently have never worked with a microsoft back end. there is a reason that it is the business standard. everyting integrates, everything works.

the reason windows gets such a bad rap in the consumer market place is that it is way more open than mac. MS supports all pc hardware, and has to be open enough for manufatures to write whatever drivers they need. mac does not have anywhere near the hardware choice of pc, plus the fact that if you are a gamer, you have only one platform, and that is windows. it is that way for a reason.

mac can afford to have a mostly closed system, they market (and market well) to a very select user base that does not need that openness.

Tags: Add Tags