1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Apple Wireless Keyboard dies mid-sentence - SOLVED

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Unicorn, 20 Jun 2010.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

My laptops "docked" setup at home consists of an Apple wireless keyboard, Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse, 24" LCD and its own external DVD burner. The WKB is just over a year old (purchased mid April 2009) and has been used on a regular basis in that year. I've looked after it very well though. I was typing on it last night and it just stopped working mid sentence. I thought the batteries were dry, so I changed them for a new set. It didn't make a difference :(

So, how or why does a keyboard which has been treated like a baby, covered with an iKlear dust cloth each time it's not in use, cleaned carefully with iKlear once a week and used carefully by only me just stop working mid sentence? I have no idea, and I have to say I'm very disappointed by this. I think this is the first Apple product that I've bought that has failed outside the warranty period.

Any ideas on what I should do with it? Take it to the retail store I bought it in and see if they can do anything with it maybe?

Last edited: 20 Jun 2010
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Is it a wireless signal problem? Did you try to reconnect? Is the driver at the computer end still working?

3. Unicorn

No, it's definately not a wireless problem. It just switched off. It has a small green LED at the top right hand corner which indicates when it's on and looking for a bluetooth base station. That light won't come on and my laptop can't find it.

[edit]

Just came down to the Apple retail Store in Victoria Square, Belfast to see if there was anything that they can with do the board in-store. They booked me in for the last Genius Bar appointment of the day at 17:40. I hope they find that I've done something really stupid like put the batteries in the wrong way round, because typing on my 12" laptop keyboard sucks :rolleyes:

Last edited: 20 Jun 2010
  4. Unicorn

Problem solved, but not by Apple

Well I came home from Belfast about an hour ago after hearing from (a very helpful and pleasent) Apple Genius that there was nothing he could do outside the warranty period other than test the board and confirm that it was faulty. He had an engineer look at it and just declared it as an "electronic hardware fault". Well, I'm an electronic engineer, I could have told him that but what he did ask was whether or not I had a Mac computer that I could get the serial number off in order to claim the keyboard as faulty within the warranty of the computer. I said I had no Mac yet. With that, he told me there was nothing more that he could do with it.

So, that option ruled out, I took the keyboard home to the workshop and opened it up. I noticed immediately that the positive battery terminal was out of place. I fixed that by stretching the spring that holds it in place out a bit and put the keyboard back together. One fresh set of batteries later, and it's working. I'm typing this post on it right now. Apparently this is a common fault with the AWKB. There are several topics on Apple hardware repair sites detailling the specifics of it.

I'm happ to have my favourite "typing" keyboard (I don't play games with this one) back in action again :)