1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AppleCoreDuo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cyprio, 2 Dec 2006.

1. sailorboy

sailorboy What's a Dremel?

Lookin good so far !! Just found Mr.Beans mod the other day and before that I had no idea that U were able to mod the G5 case! this is kick ass because the only reason I have the lian-li v2000 case is bacause it looks something like the G5. Just luv the slick and minimalistik look of these cases!!
    Keep upp the god work m8!!

2. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

I am going to be getting this powdercoated after im done. I want a seamless look. :)

Will investigate Bondo.

3. z4114

z4114 FACE!

If you're going to powdercoat be warned that the material you use to bond the ATX backplate to the case needs to be able to withstand the heat needed to finish the powdercoating (IIRC around 400F). Other people have used bondo and JB weld with powder coating and had it come out looking terrible after the final bake. I hate to throw a wrench in your plans, but it's better to warn you now before you invest the time to bond it, redrill the mesh holes, get it powdered, and then have it come out looking like crap after it's baked.

But as far as the case goes it's looking good. I too have fancied the G5's astetics(sp?).

(semi O/T) Is saying something looks "pants" a good thing or bad thing? (/ semi O/T)

4. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

The place that does powder coating said that if it wont withstand the heat they have a similar air coating process that gives a good, hard wearing coat.

Thanks for the warning. It reminded me to check the specs on that aluminum stuff - think it was around 150 Celcius.

ps "pants" = 'bad' (in England). On the otherhand "The Dog's Bollocks" - 'fantastic'! :D Odd lot over here arent we? :)

5. z4114

z4114 FACE!

(ot) Not too terribly odd. I know i've said someone/thing is balls <adjective>. I spose it's just another amplifier like the F word. (/ot)

I hope your bonding agent can hold up to the baking process. Do you have anymore information about the air coating process or is that just standard car painting methods?

6. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

You misunderstood me. If you say something is the Dog's bollocks over here in the UK you are saying that its great or fantastic. Its not a put down. :)

I will be looking into wet paint coating process when i have the case almost done. I am considering modding the front as well as i will need to install a new power switch, USB and line out/mic switches.

7. cyberspyder

cyberspyder Canuck

ANODIZE!!!!! If possible, replace all of the steel parts with ALu parts, and you can anodize everything to a nice black (or silver).

Brendan

8. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

[ot]Does 'pants' mean 'bad' in Scottland also? :eek: Got a Scottish teacher, and he randomly said 'pants' one day then felt embarrassed for some reason but wouldn't tell us what it meant, lol. Silly Scottsman. :D[/ot]

What colour will you be getting it powercoated? What about a nice gun-metal grey/black with bright contrasting accents? :eek: Possibly lime-green? Not sure. :|

9. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

I was thinking of getting it sprayed black. Im not sure i can anodize it given that i have used an epoxy putty (although it was specifically for Alu). I dont think there are any steel parts to the actual case.

10. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Mmm...looking neat, although the path you going down with the rear might be a difficult one ;)

Keep it up, I will keep my eye on this one, and I need to start on mine anyway again - actually got a bit done, need to post pics again.

11. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Hehe, good timing man - i am actually having a modding day today after this arrived:

[​IMG]

My aim is to sand down the external cage and polish it and have the middle "bit with holes" sprayed black after sanding down the back. Cant explain this very well in words but hopefully the pics will speak for themselves later on. :)

12. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Right, small update. Didnt get as much as i wanted done as i live in a flat on the second floor of a block and I think the noise of the sander was pissing people off! :D

Back of Case

If you remember i am incorporating a PC motherboard tray into the rear of an Apple G5 case. I had used aluminium epoxy putty to secure it roughly in place and then applied metal epoxy glue (the black stuff) to fill in any gaps and further strengthen the bond.

I started out with this mess:

[​IMG]

Started with a 100 grit paper but it was taking too long so reverted to a 60 for the rough stuff. I was very impressed, not having used a sander before. Its incredibly smooth! I will probably need to go over it again with a 100 and probably a 150 but that should do it for prepping it for painting. I wont be able to have it powder coated but i have some quotes for epoxy based air drying paint that sounds really good.

I have tried to capture the smoothness in a couple of pics below:

Right side:

[​IMG]

Left top corner:

[​IMG]

I also started on the epoxy putty left over on the inside of the case. I need to remove most of it to be able to attach the mobo tray and also as i will be having a window i want it to be as neat as possible.

Trying out the mobo tray:

[​IMG]

Not a bad fit but needs more sanding.

The Future

Initially my plan had been to get the whole case painted black. However i stumbled across an article explaining how to get a mirror shine (almost chromed effect) by repeated sanding with grits up to 1000 and decided to "shine" the outer cage.

I tried to mock it up (poorly) in Photshop below:

[​IMG]

I will be having a side window professionally cut and use AC Ryan Mirror2 Acrylic for the panel - hopefully creating a "seamless effect" i.e. you will only really notice the window when i turn the lights on inside the case... to show off the lovely watercooling loop inside. :clap:

Can you say "Cheese!" :)

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!

13. RonaldoR9

RonaldoR9 What's a Dremel?

looking good so far keep it up

btw do u mind refering me a link to this article
    "article explaining how to get a mirror shine"

thanks

14. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Sure - there are loads of Shuttle logs out there about people polishing the cases. I think this is the best guide out there. :)

15. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

just a quick question, how exactly do you plan to get a mirror finish on the back of the case, it seems you put a quite a bit of glue there and i dont think that will polish at all, mabe your planning to get it professionaly chromed?
    ive always been a fan of these apple G5 mods.. im planning to get myself one of those cool new G5 cases once they show up on ebay haha keep up the good work

16. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Watching this with interest :)

17. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

The G5 case separates out into 2 main parts. The outer "cage" and door and the inner "holey bit". I am planning to polish the cage/door and get the inner bit painted black. As you quite rightly said it would be impossible to get a shine on the back as it has epoxy putty and glue on it. I hope that makes sense, its quite hard to explain if you have never seen how a G5 case fits together.

Maybe this will help. This is the "Cage"

[​IMG]

The middle "holey" and soon to be black bit i am working on:

[​IMG]

ps i had never thought about getting the middle bit chromed... :D Might be bling overkill though!

18. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice! I love Apple G5 cases! Keep up the good work!

19. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

that stuff is really good and adds the effect of the case with regards to how it works. i am in the process of piecing together a new gaming rig which uses the new thermaltake mozart, and am going to replace the fitted windows with that ryan mirror acrylic.

20. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :)

Im afraid i wont be able to work on this during the week however as i have a pretty busy job and also dont want to disturb the neighbours with noisy power tools! I will post updates on smaller items that need doing if i get time though. ;)