1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AppleCoreDuo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cyprio, 2 Dec 2006.

1. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

You may wanna have a looky at the neat aluminium Coolermaster 120 fans I'm using for my project - they go really well with the G5 case ;)

2. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Will do. :)

This is a cable/socket that i intend to use to mount the PSU. It is basically a kettle plug on one end and a socket on the other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This way i will only have to fix the socket on the rear of the case - no need to make any large cuts. I think i will need to make some vents in the top panel of the case though for better ventilation.

3. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

oh heh i understand now.. black and chrome is always nice, if that be the case, mod on!

4. galimim

galimim What's a Dremel?

Nice extension :D :D

5. Fatherless One

Fatherless One What's a Dremel?

Hi from Australia (Gold Coast :)), my first post :thumb:

Great work Mr Bean and Cyprio.

I've decided to get a Powermac Pro case (dual optical drive bays) for a similar project and I did a google search and found this thread, I'm glad I did.

Alan.

6. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

@ Alan: I did recieve your PM over at MacMod, rather PM me here, then I can send you my email addy, and help if you need it :) I lost my account details with MacMod, new email etc.... :( I was going to bid for that on over at Wefixmacs, it sure was a nice specimen - how much did you end up paying for it?

Should be somewhat easier to mod than our PowerMac samples, as your PSU and Harddrives have their own cosey little areas already...lol....

@ Cyprio: Mm...seems your idea with psu is same as what I did, I did mod the bottom plate underneath the PSU (the one which house the DVD rom drive) to allow for ventilation/scavenging. Underneath that will also be a custom alu plate, like the rest of my case, to hide the original and not-so-nice Apple one.

Will keep you posted.

7. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Damn, i wish i had the space & tools to mill metal! :)

Re: PSU, i was considering making vents in the top of the case to remove/intake air (depending on the PSU). Possibly drilling loads of holes to follow the rest of the pattern of the case.

So many decisions to make. :)

ps: you think this is similar to the thermal pads you were referring to?

Referring to the newer Pro case you have also given me a new idea about mounting my hard drives...

Last edited: 23 Jan 2007
  8. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

@ Cyprio: All the work on mine up to this point has been by hand, jigsaw, dremel and files....hehe - only need to mill the pci-card slots at the bottom, the part where the small little piece goes through the motherboard tray...

Wrt the link you posted, yes, that will work as well. Just get a non-metallic one, it will be good, I think all those are plastic-based anyway....if one side have aluminium meshing, don't mount that side to your drive electronics - soz, you may know this anyway, just a heads-up....

9. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Yeah i know and its great work. I was just grumbling at the fact that i live in a flat in London with no space and neigbours who dont like the sound of an orbital sander coming from the flat above. :cooldude:

10. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Front I/O ports

Well took the day off work as have a rotten cold but that didnt stop me from getting some modding done! :)

I was focussing on the front I/O ports: USB, mic & headphone jack, firewire and also the main On/Off switch. I got my hands on a Coolermaster I/O panel that i plan to use to replace the front ports on the G5 as i wanted an extra USB and there is no mic socket. As i am an avid gamer and use a headset this is a must. :)

I/O panel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marking out the necessary cuts in an old face plate:

[​IMG]

After a small amount of drilling and A LOT of needle filing (my first ever time using these - damn is it time consuming!):

[​IMG]

I added a switch i thought i might use for the main on/off (but not sure i like it after i added it :p):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time:

• Look for another switch!
    • Dremel out old I/O ports on front of cage
    • Insert new face plate with epoxy putty
    • Sand down with rest of case

11. RonaldoR9

RonaldoR9 What's a Dremel?

lookin goood so far

btw whats needle filling

12. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure that he was correct when he said filing.

Very nice work so far, I hope you make this thing look as stock as possible, because not only is that though to do, but it looks oh so sweet.

13. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I enjoy these G5-mods. Looking very-nice so far..

14. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

Must agree with MS, looking good!

15. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Thanks a lot guys. Im sorry about the slow progress though as starting a new job and moving house as well. Will update as and when i get the time. I have all the materials for the build but still trying to source some specific Tygon tubing from the US for the water loop.

I might have some spare time this weekend... :)

16. Fatherless One

Fatherless One What's a Dremel?

Mac Pro case has arrived :)

I need info on the pinouts for the front USB/Firewire/headphone jack and power switch. Any and all help is much appreciated.

My e-mail is awh1@bigpond.com

17. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Im afraid my case didnt come with the front ports hence why i am having to replace them.

BTW - moving house on Friday... possibility for modding on Sunday! :D

18. Pete Wright

Pete Wright What's a Dremel?

Hey guys this is looking amazing. I'm trying really hard to get hold of a G5 case in the UK and not having much luck at all. Found one on ebay but seller wants $125 to ship it!!

Has anyone a manual for stripping the case right down?

Also some measurement as i can't find any of the case at all?

I need to take it all apart when i get one to do the mods i plan. Oh and thinking of a name on mine, G5 X64 / X64 G5 i duno yetit's early still.

Good luck guys

Pete

19. Pete Wright

Pete Wright What's a Dremel?

Thats a steal, how ever!

What you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How ever i found this, the feet, handles come off all as one so it looks like it could be bent back. The case is due to go for a color change! It's also not going to happen till the V2000B is done!

[​IMG]

Pete

20. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

My advice would be to keep checking on Ebay. I got mine for around £60. They do come up occasionally.

Regarding the mod - might be able to get more done this weekend. Finally moved house and got boxes unpacked. Should have a broadband connection up and running this weekend too. :clap:

I also have much more room in the new place so using a power sander in my room is a thing of the past! :)