1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applepie's case - noname - updated jan 10 (= - (.jpg, 640x480 pics, MANY)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Applepie, 9 Aug 2004.

1. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I've already figured that out. I'll be using the top two bays for a VFD and a fan controller (VFD and then the FC). I'll have to have part of the heater core extending out of the top of the case with the fans being on the outside of the case too, I'll have to make a custom housing for them as well.

Looking good so far. :thumb:

2. Applepie

Applepie What's a Dremel?

Just a heads up: Because of Doom3 updates will be slow. ;)

3. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

addict

4. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

Doom 3 was not even that good, i mean i loved the intro, and i think the engine was done so nicly but i don't "like" the game, but i never liked any Doom game eirther ( i know how can i be called a gamer)

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Please say you're going to sleeve the PSU and not spiral wrap it, sleeving looks much better and it'd be a shame to spoil the look you've accomplished so far. Keep it up :D

6. Applepie

Im not an addict. ;)
    But I do want to finish the game pretty fast to I can get back to :dremel:.

I think its pretty good, best played alone at night with the lights out. (=
    Havent tried multiplayer yet but I think Im going to be dissapointed. Just gotta hope there'll be some nice mods to play or Doom3 is not going to last much longer than it takes to finish the single player.

I think you're refering to the spiral wrap on the fan controller (?), thats the way it was when I got it, won't be ANY spiralwrap in my case when Im done.

7. Arne

Arne What's a Dremel?

I think Doom3 is a very nice game I mean..... :worried: Im frighten when I play it :worried:

8. Tt Ownage

Tt Ownage What's a Dremel?

you and i are the probably only 2 people in the world with a water cooled Xaser... lol.

nice work so far

9. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

my bro knows a bit about programing so he went and changed around a whole bunch of stuff in multiplayer and it made it so much more fun, "lights out" has to be the best level, but other than that i did not like the game

10. Applepie

(=
    I'll update later tonight or 2morrow. =)

I havent even started on multi yet.
    I started right away on Hard and no cheats ofcourse, I know now that if I had started on an easier lvl it would have sucked, but with the whole "I can die any minute"-feeling and the spookyness of the game I am finding it quite enjoyable. You are entitled to your opinion, ofcourse. (=

11. omicron

omicron Baud.

Beautiful as Doom 3 may be, I prefer playing games that immerse you into a storyline, even though I tend to contract reality disorder for the next few days.

The project is coming long nicely - I must admit I'm not a fan of Tt, or of doored cases in general, but you've got some innovative ideas going on there, I hope you can achieve everything you're planning. Waiting for next update.. :thumb:

12. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Oh, I think not.
    Over at OCforums.com there is a 70+ page thread devoted to modding Xasers and there are quite a few H2O rigs amongst them.
    Mine was one.

13. Steamed Turtle

Steamed Turtle What's a Dremel?

Nice and neat mod, I look forward to seeing more.

14. Litecore

Litecore What's a Dremel?

hell yeah applepie, that's the way to go with a "premod"-case.
    MOD IT EVEN MORE ! muhahaha, ehm. -coughs- gotta sleep :p

some truly great work you've done here. i like it, like it a lot !
    and im sorry if this has been asked before, too tired to check back,
    but are you gonna do something with the front bezel? :dremel:

15. Arne

Arne What's a Dremel?

:rock:

Last edited: 14 Oct 2004
  16. Applepie

ok, SO.... I've been falling a bit behind with the updates... The case as far as Im going to mod it for now is mostly done, I now just need to finish the new window, but the log still needs to be put up to speed. So here goes:

Ok, so I started sleeving cables.....
    Make sure the sleeving doesnt unwinde on ya with.... FIRE!!!

[​IMG]

I got inspiration for the sleeving from g-gnomes Orac3 - big source of inspiratioin and one of the reasons I started modding - but choose a little bit different colors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I said, testrunning the watercooling and then keeping it in the case - Im lazy - when I do more modding might not have been the best idea.....

[​IMG]

... but I manage. :thumb:

So far so good...

[​IMG]

Once I got some cables sleeved I wanted to start trying out the 3.5 mm plug I chose...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They can be a bit tricky to solder since they are so small but all in all its not too difficult. I didnt heatshrink the grounding pin since it doesnt matter anyway and used the large outermost connectot for ground since it might touch the metal casing of the plug and thus if its not the grounded pin might cause some trouble. With these you gotta remember to turn of the comp before pulling them out as they might momentarily short curciot when you insert/exsert them.
    As always, dont forget to put the casing on the wire before soldering... =P

Same goes for the XLR plugs....

[​IMG]

Put the casing over the sleeved wires and solder the whole thing up. The solder cups on these were really easy to work with even for a soldering newbie like myself. :hip:

[​IMG]

The you put the plastic thingie on that keeps the pins to the front and screw the whole thing together.

[​IMG]

Oops, I touched the sleeving with the soldering iron..... oh well, it will just give it a more "used" look. :D

I dont think I'll go over sleeving all the cables to the fans and front lights and buttons and so on.... its very simple anyway. Mesh sleeving on, tube on outside that, heatshrink on the ends, done.

Anyway, then I started prepping the mounting for my junction box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And thats all Im gonna do today. Stay tuned for more :dremel: !!!

17. Applepie

At this time, no. But later on, like for my x-mas modding or maybe next summer, YES! :dremel:

18. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

nice one your getting good

19. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

looks nice so far. I like it.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I like. :thumb: The top double blowhole is a nice shape --good idea. But if, on balance, you decide that the washers aren't quite pretty enough in terms of covering up your slip of the drill, I'd suggest you get some dome-shaped M4 hex screws or fairing screws, or countersunk screws with countersunk washers. Alternatively, visit the Tasty Nuts website (it's not what you think... :worried: ) and look at the anodised aluminium screw cap washers also.

[​IMG]