1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Apples haters...

Discussion in 'General' started by Boscoe, 21 Apr 2012.

1. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

x

Last edited: 5 Nov 2015
  2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

That is Apples pricing strategy for the desktop products, that shouldn't mean that you dislike them as a whole.

3. Akkatha

Akkatha *SCREECH!* /run away.

Same here, the price. I dont spend my time on a computer staring at the OS, I spend it using programs. I don't need anything apple specific as I use Premiere over final cut and pro tools over logic, so theres really no point in me spending twice the amount on a machine with a light-up fruit on it to do the same thing.

I have an iPhone and I really do like it. However most of the cost is part of the contract deal so therefore it seems a more reasonable price, even though I know it probably adds up in the end.

4. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Apple haters exist because apple fanatics exist, and vice versa. The more one side pushes, the harder the other side responds. It's like the old question about whether the Joker created Batman or the other way around. (obviously Batman created the Joker)

Other than that, there was the aerial issue, apple's software restrictions and the fact that they're incredibly overpriced. Also, ios is the Greek word for virus. You can't make this **** up.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

current nvidia 680 graphics card in usa is around $499

in the uk the same card is around £440

apple prices are not a whole lot worse when you compare it.

id also love to compare the same sort of phones and tablets

ipad2 (16gb ) in uk is £329 samsung galaxy tab 2 thing is £330 for 16gb version both are wifi only

if your talking about the laptops

compare other laptop makers and notice they charge very similar pricing to apple

lets use alienware similar sort of brand reputation which is what you pay for so we are comparing apples and oranges so to speak

a memory upgrade on there current

m17x

6gb to 12gb costs an insane £200

6gb to 18gb costs £400

apple macbook pro

4gb ram to 8gb ram costs £160

hard disk prices for both are close to identical

a 750 gb drive is an extra £80 on both

both also charge a rather insane £380 extra for a 256gb ssd lol

prices taking from apple and dell websites

not alot of dif tbh

both start at £1299 they both have similar specs ( one is amd graphics one is nvidia )

both scale to £2k +

All in one systems there is so few to choose between that its not really worth the discussion.

unfair marking practices microsoft anybody still controls 90% of the current pc operating system market last i checked.

i dont own many apple products but not sure price is one of there issues ( just the phone 4s got it for free due to a contract error so happy days lol )

6. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

Not a huge fan-boy of Apple, I am more of a "I use what I need" -kind of a guy. I have iPod Touch, it was first touch-screen device I never had, and still is. I was actually ready to accept my faith that I will turn on Apple fan-boy and go for their smartphone, tablet and whatever_books, but no... The only cool thing I "found" from iPod was the retina display, but cmon... It's a f*****g MP3-player, okay you can watch movies but it's pretty stupid even in a train 'cos it's hard to watch ergonomicaly, and if you try to do that, the screen is too far a way for it's size. So there is no need to pop the price up with retina-display (my opinion). Also the screen is already having some pretty nasty scratches (whoop da whoop for the clear picture of retina display), and the aluminium back plate is also pretty f****d too. And I just had my hands on my mom's brand new iPad 2, nothing special, browsed internet for 5minutes and I had no interest for it anymore.

So to go to the point. Apple is a strong brand, but their never ending desire to make art-design products is bit weird to me, but it seems to sell well. Nokia also pulled pretty sweet _design_ with Lumia-phones, and the fact that the body is polycarbonate is to me same as "You can use me with no fear to scratch my shiny aluminium back", so I don't say design is bad, IF you make it so you can use it in everyplace with no need to protect your valuable iPhone or iPod (or Macbook or iPad) from scratching, that's why I don't like most of Apple products (Sure you can make them more durable with all kinds of rubber-cases and screen protection things but I don't want that). Also the iOS on iPhones, iPods and iPads is nothing special to me, deems to be same as every other touch-screen thingies I've tested, just bit different layout, and they lack good car-navigators usually as a default.

And when it comes to laptops, why they must be made from somekind of brushed aluminium? My brother's aluminium unibody MacBook has seen few years of life now, and it looks dirty and worn (because it's been under a heavy use of course), but if you look on Lenovo or even older IBM ThinkPads and they look almost brand new even when used for years. And my brother actually bought _used_ IBM T42 about at the same time when he bought the MacBook and it's been under heavy use too and looks good as new, you can't say the same from MacBook or the precursor of MacBook which was iBook G4 (piece of wobbly and very worn off plastic with scratches nowadays).

I can understand people who buy Apple products, they look nice as long you keep them nice and protect them with your life, after that it sure is good if the OS gives all you need. And you sure wont have BSODs.

-They just are not for me, I rather go for Lenovo laptops (rugged, looks cool, made for use and is trusted brand with pretty good customer service). And when it comes to so called PC, I rather build it myself and let it have real performance and customizability, thou' I have to admit I like the Mac Pro case, propably the finest looking case in the markets and it won't get scratched as it's tower-PC, just standing still. And when it comes to MP3-players or mobilephones, I propably would go for the Lumia now if I needed smartphone, because of it's design and features, but we'll see what the future brings to us. And if you have smartphone, do you really need tablet? Or why not have laptop that can be a tablet too like Lenovo X220 Tablet? You can even draw with a pen on that thing!

In conclusion I will end this rant: I might buy apple products if it's made for use too, and not ONLY for eye.

7. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Owned plenty of mac products. Not an enthusiast like my father but I do appreciate what they can and can't do. Which is why I bought and built a nice PC.

I do like Jonathan Ive though (or I've with Apple auto check)...

8. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

I appreciate that some of Apple's prices are ridiculous. There is a picture going around of a Mac Pro being specced up that shows such things.

However, what irks me is the fact that people say the Macbook Pro and what was the original Macbook lineup were overpriced.

My Macbook is 4 years old now. It has taken a lot of abuse. We will leave out the obvious argument about you should look after your things better but a much cheaper Windows based notebook wouldn't have survived such torture. I appreciate that you can get a Windows based system with build quality as good as a Macbook, but at this point you are generally looking at business class systems which have a similar cost to a Macbook.

That is the main reason I would buy another, but there are a few more reasons.

My Macbook has been through 3 generations of operating system. Each generation cost me £20-30. To keep consistently up-to-date with Windows operating systems would have cost me roughly £70 each. I appreciate that this isn't quite the same as having a cheaper laptop but it keeps ...urm... running? costs down.

Because Apple hardware is limited and doesn't have to be as open as Windows they can keep the operating system more cut down. Snow Leopard did this very well. Lion not so much.

The reduced chance of getting a virus. I appreciate that no operating system is safe from such things, however, it is a fact that there are less viruses developed for OSX. I do run antivirus on my Mac, but it has never found anything.

ON TOP OF all this it looks nice a get an OS that I like the interface of and the battery life isn't half bad either.

I hope you can see my reasoning behind why I personally chose a Macbook. What does annoy me is other people with Macbooks just because its a fashion statement not what they actually need.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Who cares? I mean really?

Anybody who puts hatred into the ownership of one type of good over another needs to be slapped silly.

10. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Please fall into the trap of being easily segregated by marketing folks more, its amusing to watch.

11. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

I think too many people are saying specs are poor but you can't look at hardware without looking at software.

I feel that my MBP which is a 13.3" unibody late 2009 dual core core 2 duo 8GB of RAM and regular HDD is faster and easier to use than my i5 2500K PC. I just have the PC becuase I can't afford an iMac and I play the odd game.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I would love apple hardware but not the 'apple life' I really disliked itunes back when it came out, and i really doubt they've changed it that much.

I really like the ipad, but the lack of expandable memory is frankly annoying and even mac fans are unhappy about that.

Android has done exactly what every mac fan wants, but in the manor of a typical linux coder, 'oh thats not a bug its a feature, and have you checked for an update?'

I also hate apple fanboys in the sense that they look down upon everyone else.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

YMMV. I just bought my wife a MacBook Air (1st gen., £450,-- on eBay) because she needed something light and easy to use. It's my first long-term experience with OSX. I can't get over how well-designed it is. It's great for non-techies, intuitive and comfortable in use and solidly built. The case has no fragile sharp corners. The fan is quiet. Battery life is reasonable. And it's thin and light. It's a joy to use.

People may complain about the price, but an Asus ultra book of similar spec and quality costs almost the same. An Acer Aspire S3 is a very decent cheap alternative but you can notice the cut corners: poorer screen, loud fan, cramped keyboard and touch pad.

And have you seen a tablet yet that can beat the iPad on price? It took Asus and Samsung over a year to catch up.

14. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I don't dislike Apple. It's the fanboys that irritate me.

Buy whatever suits you best but don't insist it's the only(and best) option out there.

15. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Phone wise I put Android and Iphones on equal terms. Iphones just work, androids you can do whatever you want with, seems a fair trade off to me, fits both markets of user and enthusiast. I have iphone because I really can't be bothered dicking around with Android to get it 'just so' but I appreciate that you can. Yes iphone message tones are annoying but getting whatever ringtone you want is the single easiest workaround I've ever come across.

Portability wise you really can't beat macbooks for battery life (outside of horrid little netbooks/nettops/whatever you want to call the poxy things) which, if we're honest, is the most important factor for a laptop.

The desktops are the only thing i have a real gripe with. A friend of mine has one of the 30 inch all in one macs and it is stunning to look at, pleasant to use, etc. BUT it cost him well over 4 times the value of my PC and mine destroys in most respects and that is what annoys me about them.

The fanboys I ignore, simple :)

16. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

My feelings about Apple are nothing to do with their products per se, they relate to their domination, and monopolization practices and profit margin motivations and supplier practices above all else. I know they're in business to make money but competition is a good thing not a bad thing, price fixing enforced on their providers is a bad thing not a good thing, supplier practices in relation to employees a bad thing not a good thing. For me they fall in the same group as Walmart and Tesco and I wouldn't go near them with a barge pole :)

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Users, price and recent world domination aside, most of us on here enjoy a bit of tinkering. Apple design their hardware and software so well, and lock it down so much, that there is little room for modding or improvement left.

And where's the fun in that? I mean, who buys expensive shiny hardware just to use it? We want to see what it could do...

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

A free PC, a free Apple. I'll take them both thanks.

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Meh, Apple Shmapple.

It's just a name, I prefer Android in the phone stakes after coming from an Iphone, when Apple deem me a big enough boy to do what I want on their phone I might switch back.

I've never seen let alone used any other Apple products so I ain't gonna comment, I'm sure they're nice and those that use them enjoy them.

But as has been said, fanbois on both sides of the fence need lining up against it and shooting :rock:

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I often enjoy an apple whilst I'm using my PC. I prefer pears though.