1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking APU Overclocking Basics - Help Please

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nealieboyee, 26 Mar 2014.

1. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Hi All,
    I recently got hold of an A8-5600K and an X4 750K and I have a couple of questions regarding overclocking them.

Usually I just up the multiplier until there is a problem, after which I add more voltage. However, there are other settings that confuse me a bit with these APU's/FM2 chips.

For your info, my motherboard is an MSI A75MA-E35 and my RAM is 1600MHz.

So.....What are these for and do I need to change them for stablility or cooler temps?

1. CPU base frequency (stock 100MHz - I'm wary of this because isnt' this related to PCI-E speed?)
    2. CPU-NB ratio? ( I usually leave this and the next two at stock, but these apparently play an important role in overclocking these APU's)
    3. CPU-NB voltage
    4. NB voltage

Currently my X4 750K is sitting at 4.4GHz at 1.39Vcore. I haven't prime95'd for more than 20minutes at a time, and haven't had any crashes during gaming. I've had one blue screen though, but I can't remember what it was from.

Any help would be appreciated. Please forgive my ignorance.

Cheers,
    Betty

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

As you said, just up the multi, up the voltage when neded :p

You can change the nb ratio to something a bit higher, should give you more bandwidth, I think mine currently runs at 22x whereas stock was 16 or 18.

My 760k is at 4.5/6 at a bit of 1.4v I think, haven't primed it or anything but it doesn't crash so meh I'm happy.

I'd leave the base freq., what are your values for NB/CPU-NB voltage?

3. Nealieboyee

Thanks George. My NB is at 1.2V and CPU-NB is at 1.32V I think. Might be the other way around but i'm fairly certain thats it.

These chips are at a really good pricepoint for an overclockable quad core, don't you think?

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I think they're great, went from an i7 to the 760k and don't regret it :)

I'll try to remember to have a looksie when I'm home t see what mine are and maybe give you some more advice, what's your nb ratio?

5. Nealieboyee

Ok I checked last night and here are my settings at 4.5GHz

CPU Base Frequency 100
    Adjust CPU Ratio 45
    Adjust CPU-NB Ratio 20
    Adjusted CPU-NB Frequency 2000MHz
    CPU Core Control Auto
    AMD Turbo Disabled
    DRAM Frequency 1600MHz
    XMP Disabled
    CPU Voltage 1.3986v
    CPU Core Voltage 1.560v (Greyed out)
    CPU-NB Voltage 1.2950v
    NB Voltage 1.2665v
    SB Voltage Auto

Whats the difference between cpu voltage and cpu core voltage? Why is the core voltage so high?
    While I was priming with these settings, I felt my vrm's were getting really hot and I don't have adequate airflow over them at the moment, so I killed the test.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2014
  6. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

the cpu core's are the core's themselves, the cpu voltage will be the supplied voltage to the whole package inc gpu portion.