1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel114, 4 Oct 2007.

1. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

I'll (hopefully) soon be getting the Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0 SLACR and after looking around the forum have decided to get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro to cool it. I made the mistake before with a pentium cpu of buying another cooler, then sticking with the stock one, and to be honest it seemed quiet enough.

I was wondering if anyone had any expeirience with both and could really tell much of a difference? I know its not a big spend anyhow, just curious really.. or if you have anything else you reccomend thats quiet and will keep it nice and cold?

Dan

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

That freezer 7 pro is an excellent performer and is very quiet with it's rubber mounted fan. Good heatpipe coolers can chop off up to about 10c in my experience and the freezer is cheaper than most other good heatpipe coolers out there. You have to get a more expensive air cooler to do a better job than the freezer.
    If you aren't gonna oc and your room temps are always low and you aren't loading the pc such as gaming, then the standard cooler will be pretty quiet at keeping the cpu cool, especially if you use artic silver 5 or ceramique. You'd might hear the psu & hdd & gfx over the standard fan in this scenario - but if you wanna oc, or if your room temps get warm, or you wanna play games, etc then it's definetly worth getting the freezer.

3. Daniel114

Cheers, thats just what I was after

4. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

It works very nicely with the Q6600 and the G0 should run cooler than mine :)

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

For a quad, especially if you're overclocking (and overvolting!!) I'd suggest something bigger like a TT MaxOrb, even if the ACF7P is an excellent cooler it's not that big.

6. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Maybe, but the maxorb isn't the greatest cooler in the world...and its made by thermaltake.

7. Mother-Goose

Plus if you are running stock it is more than capable.

8. Daniel114

I was gonna up it by a bit, i asked because I hadn't seen much mention of it with regard to a quad core, only a duel. Does it run much hotter?

9. Mother-Goose

hmmmmm, I don't know what the safe temps are for the quads so can't help that much BUT i would say if you are going to up the speeds also up the ante in terms of cooling.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh yea, but pump more voltage through a quad core and few air coolers are up to the task when loaded extensively. It's made worse by the fact it's dual die which means no two dies are the same so are often different temperatures. A situation made worse if less than all the cores are loaded.

Scythe? Noctua?

11. Daniel114

So what do those that use quad cool it with? Is everyone liquid cooled but me?

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, I used a Zalman Reserator XT and a V1 and they were both not enough for a quad core @ 500FSB at 1.4375V :(

If you're leaving it at stock voltage and ocing a little, don't worry so much though.

13. Mother-Goose

I cool mine with the Freezer7 at stock, I reckon I could bump the fsb up to get it at 2.8ghz without much problem BUT if i was to go higher I'd want a better air cooler, sadly the ******* striker limits my hsf choice.

14. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

so what HSF would you recomend? infinity by SCYTHE(cost more than freezer pro 7 and you can break the mobo when instaling it...) ?

15. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I seem to have had different experiences with my Freezer 7 pro. It has reduced temperatures a lot, but is noticeable noisier than the stock cooler.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Weirdly, the stock cooler that comes with a 6750 runs far quieter than the Scythe 120mm fan on a Ninja.

The Scythe Infinity looks good from the delta measurement.

17. GuitarBizarre

I'd recommend the Freezer 7 pro. its the THERMALTAKE I don't like. Read the thread before jumping to conclusions.

For overclocking I'd go with a Thermalright Ultima 90 if you're scared of breaking the mobo, or ultra 120 if you want cooling power.

18. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

i didnt jump to conclusions i asked what do you prefer since you didnt wrote it...only that you dont like thermaltake...i've been searching for a fan for a while and i cant get thermalright stuff in my area and the freezer pro isnt for realy overclocking so the maxorb is a reasonble option and it has good airflow...

19. GuitarBizarre

Thermaltake are purveyors of unanimously awful cooling gear. If You can't get thermalright in your area order it online. Not to mention Scythe don't ONLY do the infinity. You could buy any cooler other than that from them and it would still work fine.

Besides, the Tuniq Tower is only $5 more and completely destroys it. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sunbeam/TuniqTower/7.html

20. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

But isnt the tuniq too heavy for q6600? it weights around 970grams with the fan...?

Tags: