1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arctic Silver 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt.slysnake, 7 Mar 2007.

1. matt.slysnake

matt.slysnake Banned

Will applying AS5 to my e6300 reduce temps by much? stock cooler btw.

2. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

No. Despite some of the responses you'll probably get after mine, fancy thermal compound does almost nothing for your temps. The expensive stuff tends to not dry out, but aside from that the performance is almost universally identical.

However, what are your temps? If they are ridiculously high, you might have a poorly mounted cooler. If that's the case, you'll have to remount it, and that'll require new thermal compound. In that case there's nothing wrong with using AS5.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

A couple of degrees maybe.

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

some people will say they have seen a 5c drop...but chances are they didnt apply the first one right...ie put too much or way too little

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

If the original cooler is fitted correctly (how can you mess up the installation) there's not gonna be much of a difference. If the HS or the base of the cooler isn't flat, the thermal paste won't make even that difference.

6. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I got about a 2c drop on my CPU when I switched from cheap stuff to AS5 with my Zalman, I don't think you'll get the big drop some people claim to be getting online(5-10c drop probably just won't happen)

Edit: after thinking about it, I AS5 was easier to get spread correctly then the cheap stuff I had, so it was probably just the better application that changed the temp.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2007
  7. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I take it you've never fitted a stock Core 2 cooler. Getting them on right is a matter of strength, willpower, and trust that you aren't going to push the processor straight through the motherboard.

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

God, I agree with you there. You just don't want to put that much pressure on your band new, very expensive CPU and motherboard.

9. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

I just installed an Artic Freezer 7 Pro, fitted on way easier than the Intel Stock cooler ;)

10. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Yep, it is a doddle that thing, When I did I looked at it and though....well it cant be that easy, maybe I need to twist those pins....it came off lol

11. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

I have a Pentium D 930, and they generate a lot of heat. I was originally idling at 60C with stock cooler (I DID have the HSF on correctly), then I put on AS5 and now it idles under 50C with the fan turned down.

Of course, Core Duos run cooler, so you can't expect the same drop. Nonetheless I recommend AS5 wholeheartedly. Just remember it will take about 100-150 hours of running time to fully cure and get as low as possible.

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ah indeed I haven't, I do own some S775-coolers and the mechanism seems totally retarded to me! Who the heck has trashed the good ol' clip-design and decided it's a good idea to have four goddamn plastic pins that are in direct contact with the PCB.

Also I think silver paste is far more annoying to clean off than silicon stuff. For me that means more than few degrees temperature difference. Maybe I just can't apply it correctly and forget not to use da fingerz.

13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I use Arcticlean to get the thermal goop off, works really well, so i have no problems removing it. I have seen a 37 degree drop when I applied AS5, but I also cleaned thier case out, they must of had a pound of dust in there with only one intake fan on a 3GHz Prescott.

14. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Three degrees at the very very best. Most likely about half a degree to one degree. Most people claim to see huge drops of over 5 degrees, when in reality the real problem was the poor original mount of the HSF/block, and by remounting with AS5, they improve the temp by a large margin. And no, I'm not making this stuff up.