1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Are any people helping out with medical PPE projects?

Discussion in 'General' started by Skraggy_UK, 9 Apr 2020.

1. Skraggy_UK

Skraggy_UK Minimodder

I don't know where you are in the world but are there any projects local to you or you are involved with making PPE for medical or care worker staff during the pandemic?

Several friends are involved in projects in the uk, one making scrubs for hospital staff and go surgeries, and facemasks that can take HEPA filter inserts for social care staff working in care homes.

Another is more involved in the tech work/hobby side of things, printing face shields for hospital staff, so far he has had requests for 400, yes 400 for Doctors and nursing staff in the UK NHS. So many he has bought 3 more printers.

A local school to me has turned over it's ICT lab and tech club printer for printing full face respirator masks for patients not yet needing full respirator treatment.

And in a more global project we donated a few quid to a new student project making mask strap tension relievers to help stop surgical mask and respirator masks straps cutting into medical staffs ears when they are wearing masks for so long.

Anyone involved in anything worldwide or have links to anything happening local to them?

Cheers guys stay safe everyone.

2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

This just made me feel even more inadequate than I already do, at the moment...

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Staying out of the way is about as much as some of us can do. No shame in it.

Skraggy_UK, The_Crapman and adidan like this.
  4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

My sense of inadequacy is looking for a reason to NOT escalate, at the moment... just feel like staying in bed until this sh!t's over.

No-one needs to read that...

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Staying out the way is more than a lot of people are doing, you should take pride in it. Seriously.

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Who hasn't received "help" from some one that generated more work in the end? If you feel that you can help, ask first. If need or want then proceed.

My contribution, following government recommendation for flattening the curve.

Skraggy_UK likes this.
  7. Skraggy_UK

Skraggy_UK Minimodder

I'm the same, I can't print anything because I don't have a 3d printer, I can't sew because I don't have and can't afford a machine due to current situation.

But as has been said, I can isolate and distance and do my bit that way, share the projects so those who skills can join, and any crowdfunding so those who have a little to spare can donate a £ or a $ or a € or two to help with materials or postage costs.

If you find a project share it if you can't directly contribute, pass it to those who can pick it up and run, that is doing your bit :)

Sermon over

8. Skraggy_UK

Skraggy_UK Minimodder

You shouldn't. Whatever you're reason for feeling overwhelmed, it is valid for you.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'm in the stay home and stay out of the way camp... with a bit of folding@home, pre-pay electric permitting...

sounds like a plan

Skraggy_UK likes this.