1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Are Cold Cathodes Safe?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrWillyWonka, 12 Dec 2005.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I currently have 2 4" CC on the underside of my case, I've heard horror stories of them exploding. If the current ones explode it won't get anywhere near the components.

I also want to get 2 12" CC on the inside of the case, my previous case only had LED lightings, but CC spreads light better, so, how safe are they to use? I know a lot of people have them but I don't want to risk anything! Would a semi circular plastic tube over the cathodes be a good idea, just in case it explodes?

Or am I just being stupid?

2. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk New Member

yes.

3. Blackcrown

Blackcrown New Member

Never heard of before. Those things are made for in the pc, so I don't think you should take this (and other such like things) serious.

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Active Member

Its usually the inverters melting. Only seems to happen on really poor ones.
    Though, I haven't heard of this for quite a while ;) So we *could* be ok now.

5. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Once again, Yes.
    I've had CCFL's in my case for about 1 year, and I havent heard any explosions :lol:

6. MrWillyWonka

There's a couple threads here about them exploding, I've heard about that issue elsewhere too.

But as the majority are safe, I might as well buy a couple.

7. FanatiK

FanatiK New Member

Happened to me. It didnt explode just the inverter started getting hot and made a burning smell. There where small burn marks on the end of the ccfl tube. I think it would of caught fire if I didnt turn my pc off on time. Thats why I only use leds now in my pcs. Thats the other reason I used a real blacklight with ballasts and starters. Screww ccfls. Leds are smaller and better. They are more work to use them but well worth it.

8. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Don't stare at the UV ones, me and Koolvin had migranes for a week after spending a while playing with some when they first came out.

9. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

last 8 cc's I bought even the spendy ones had the inverters melt and burn out. So now I just have cc tubes but no inverter. Ive tried everything included giving the inverter its own fan and they still blow out.

10. The_Maker

The_Maker New Member

One of my inverters actually gave my system electrical problems, it didn't matter what kind of cc I plugged into it it still made my computer spark and sizzle <.<

My other two work however so maybe its just a rare thing happening, there are always defective products on the market ;)

11. MrWillyWonka

Well, I've decided that I'm only gonna leave the CCFL's on whilst I'm on the computer, with a flick of a switch it's off!