1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Kaspersky nuts?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cpemma, 7 Oct 2008.

1. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Got a reminder to renew the AV subscription, only £25 to download direct from the Kaspersky site saving £5 on their usual price.

Or I can buy the full retail Kaspersky Internet Security Suite from Amazon for £15.48.

Look before you leap. ;)

2. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Same thing happened to me with Norton 3 years ago. I instantly took the upgrade option which cost $90 online when I could have actually bought the media for £35 from Amazon.

Have since learned my lesson though, looking and dumping Norton...phew!

3. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

AVG Free Edition hasn't failed me yet... I don't see why I would need to pay when there are freeware applications available that do the same job. The question of which application does its job better isn't really a major point because up till now AVG has caught everything.

Norton on the other hand is the bane of Internet society.

4. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

If you're a Barclay's customer, you can get 3 licences for KIS 2009 free, you will find details on the Barclay's website...
    ________
    Live Sex

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

About 2 years ago, I upgraded from AVG free to Kaspersky cos the comp was acting up, even though AVG insisted it was fine. Found 50+ malware on the PC after rescanning with Kaspersky. Since then, I've been saved several times by it's heuristic analysis and realtime monitoring. In short, you get what you paid for.

6. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

... Use avast! home... it's just so much better than AVG (and also free)

If I had to recommend an antivirus I'd say to use NOD32 (expensive, but they're immense for scanning multiple computers in the home)

7. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

I think Kaspersky is surely the best for protection (price is high though) but kind of slows down system a little... On the other side, there is NOD32 which provides some good balance between price and performance.

8. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Yeah. The razor and blade business model. They sell the media cheap to get you started, then the price of the updates in a year's time makes up for it.

9. ClaretCharlie

ClaretCharlie c_doc

i assume Kaspersky will have non-competativity clauses in some contracts they have with certain retailers that force their buy-direct prices to be above certain level and thats possibly why their price is so high.
    I got it free with computer shopper mag for 100 days :)
    got good reviews elsewhere so figured "why not?".

10. steelblade

steelblade What's a Dremel?

AVG used to be awsome... then V8 came along and silly things like scanning files through MSN became a problem. I moved to avast and its ok... still considering a move to NOD. I too thought my machine was peachy (when using avg) until i did scans with other software and found several dodgy bits of malware... didnt give me much confidence so I moved on - still wise to check with a few apps.