1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Are refurbished servers trendy or not ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by T.Sandy, 15 Sep 2010.

1. T.Sandy

T.Sandy New Member

Hello,

I am Sandy. I'm doing some researches for my Master.
    I need some information about refurbished hardware, that's why I register here ;)

My question is: what is your opinion about refurbished hardware ? Do you think it is just a trend or the future of hardware ?

Thank you for your feedbacks ;)

Sandy.
    :blush:

2. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Am I the only one that doesn't have a clue what hes on about?

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Nope, you're not!

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

Are you referring to the modifying of old server cases into something like this?

[​IMG]

Or general purpose of buying old servers for home use?

Fingers66 likes this.
  5. aLtikal

Is this bloke actually doing a MASTERS In hardware and asking if refurbished hardware is going to be the future? LOL.

I don't think your going to pass your degree mate! Quit while you can and save your money!!

6. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

I think he's referring to adding aftermarket adornments.

[​IMG]

They are only useful for picking up chicks tho ...

On a more serious note, I'm not in IT directly and don't really buy servers. I therefore can't help sorry!

7. bestseany

bestseany New Member

Isn't refurbishing hardware being the future a bit of an oxymoron? lol

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Poor bloke - probably came here hoping for a serious answer. T.Sandy - give us a bit more background on what it is your Masters is about and we might be able to help. You might be better to head to the modding section though if you are interested in that side of things.

The only trend I see in recycling old servers is to provide them as charitable donations.

10. aLtikal

Aye, brush aside my assey previous messages and take this one seriously.

We need more details about what you mean. Be more specific so we understand the context of the question more.

11. Dudey109

Dudey109 New Member

No, its not the future.

We don't buy any refurbished equipment for use in a corporate environment.
    Far less hassle, with good level of support if you purchase new equipment.
    For a start up or a company with a small budget to upgrade it may be an option but can cause more hassle than the money you save.
    That goes for all IT Equipment. Especially servers
    If something goes bang, we need it replaced or fixed asap

12. roosauce

Have you seen any trends where you are shifting old equipment to emerging markets?

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I think that the industry as a whole will be made to recycle more equipment, but I think that this will be more from the point of view of making the components themselves easier and safer to recycle into their component elements (i.e plastics, non precious and precious metals). I don't see any real future in recycled kit in the mainstream. There may be a push to provide second hand kit to the 'third world' or emergin economies, but I actually think that IT companies themselves will be looking to provide kit in these regions that have been specifically developed to be economically viable (we are already seeing this anyway).

You average user will probably tend to buy new kit and certainly from a corporate perspective there is no way that pre-owned stuff would be used, especially in mission critical installations.

I did work for a large corporation once that bought a second-hand IBM mainframe, but this was back when these things were several million quid new! Even then it had been back to IBM to be refurbished first and was probably 'as new'.

14. Greenie

Greenie New Member

I have bought refurbished stuff on ebay for test purposes only.. I would never put it into a production environment.

15. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Yes.

And it's not a "trend".

Refurbished equipment has been around for as long as equipment has been around. Be it a computer, or miter saw.

You can get loads of savings buying refurbished. However, it depends what you're buying that makes it worth it. Mechanical devices such as hard disk drives and printers, not so much. Barebone server equipment, if the savings is there, then sure.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Is this nonsensical thread still running? Jeeze....

17. roosauce

I think we are just trying to be a bit useful rather than being a pile of arses ...

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I think only us on here would find a server "trendy" anyway... I'm sure in the corporate environment, they're just a depreciating asset that causes the company's accountants headaches every few years.

Most companies use their hardware until it's absolutely no use to anyone anyway. They hardly ever early adopt, which is why you'll still find offices full of PCs using XP still. They don't NEED to refurbish old equipment, as they probably already have old equipment.

I can't see a market for refurbished equipment that large companies have finished with. It will be so obsolete as to be useless for even light home use, let alone corporate use.

Seriously... I want to know what your MA is all about :)