1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any doctors about?

Discussion in 'General' started by dfhaii, 23 Jun 2006.

1. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

If there are I'm after a bit of help really.

Five days ago (Sunday), some fat bint in stilettos stood on my foot, just behind my toes and fairly central width ways while I was waiting at a bar to get a drink. I didn't really think anything of it at the time other than saying 'please will you stop standing on my foot', but over the past few days it's become more painfull, very swollen, and I am currently pretty much unable to walk.

I know the best thing to do will be to visit a hospital, but is there anything I can do before then myself?

If there is a temporary fix that would be great as I have to drive ~200 miles home later, and would prefer to get there, than be stranded here with a cast on completely unable to drive.

Many thanks,
    Colin.

2. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

ouch!
    Best thing would be a compression bandage, or any bandage on tite. dont use it too much.

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Ibuprofen should help the swelling go down for now but get proper medical help ASAP.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

^^ As above. Get it seen to. Better that than a gammy foot, and surely there's a hospital nearer than 200miles.

5. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

There is Bindi but I need to move home today (am at uni atm), and if I get a cast or something put on it here, then I'm screwed, as there's no way I'd be able to drive.

Will try and get hold of some Ibuprofens though.

Cheers,
    Colin.

6. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

If it's your foot rather than your ankle, they won't put you in a cast, probably just give you some ibroprofin and tell you to rest it,

If i were you I'd just put up with it, go home and if it still hurts in a day or 2 go down to A and E and there x ray it for you before telling you there nothing much they can do. If you had broken a bone I'm pretty sure you'd know about it straight away, where as muscle damage or brusing tends to hurt more as it swells.

But hey I'm not a doctor and I did once end up being "hours away" from needing to be addmitted for I V medication 'cos I'd got a blister on my foot ice skating that burst, got infected and gave me blood poisioning as I didn't do anything about it for a week.

good luck....

7. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Surely one of your friends could give you a lift home?

8. fatty

fatty Minimodder

I had someat like that happen to me but the girl in question stomped on my little toe and fractured it :eeek:

9. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Well it's been a couple of days since you last posted... wondering how the plates of meat are doing?

10. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

I came home on friday night and went to the hospital on sat morning, complete waste of time 'oh don't use it and quaff painkillers, if it gets worse come back'. Today it's still not good, walking is possible but very painfull so I'm thinking about going back and seeing if they'll actually x-ray it this time to see if anything is damaged.

11. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Monday or tuesday mornings are less busy and will probably bag you more time with a Doctor than a saturday morning.

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Strange, when I had a partial lung collape, the Triage Nurse in the A&E here said that Monday is one of their busiest days because people who've hurt themselves over the weekend come in as they dont want to waste their weekend off but rather work time on monday.

13. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

best time to go to a hospital.... hmm, never hopefully, but i'd say that just before an england match would be a good idea.

oh, and btw, i have been squished in the foot before and they told me just to rest, so i took advantage of that and was lazy, but when it still hurt a while later i went back and they found out i had a squished nerve that was trapped or something... Apparently if it had been left i would have eventurally lost the feeling in part of my foot... i didn't really pay much atention, they had given me something nice for the pain.. hehe.

14. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Icing immediately following the incident would have been beneficial, but as it's now a few days since the incident ice is no good as that's normally applied immediately to prevent swelling occurring in the first place. Try and keep it warm or, better still, heat it. Get a hot (warm) water bottle or something similar and rest that on your foot, or your foot on that, which ever will be most effective. The heat will help dilate the blood vessels which will stop it being quite so tight and should also help reduce the pain, at least when you're trying to move it or applying pressure, anyway.

Only heat for around 20 mins at a time every couple hours, or when possible, and try to move / stretch after heating if it's not too painful. This should eventually reduce the swelling.

Advice given here purely based on past experiences. I am in no way medically qualified and accept no responsibility for increased pain or worsening of symptoms by the following of any advice given.

As for the best time to go to hospital: doesn't matter, so long as you're unconcious and in an ambulance, then you get seen straight away. :D

*Hwu currently recovering from a hit'n'run incident :sigh:

15. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

Cheers for the advice all, I may go back.

:O Hwulex, hope you're ok?

Col.

16. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Alternative as you are in the Uk would be to go to your friendly GP. That way you wont be fighting for a doctors attention with people who have imbedded fences in their arms and have legs that now bend in directions they shouldn't and the people turning up in ambulances. You GP on the other hand will be grateful for the change from stuffy noses and sore throats.

17. RTT

RTT #parp

Just chop it off.

[​IMG]

18. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

Apparently that was a bad idea RTT, expect a letter from my solicitors Ambulance chasers, general scammers & sons Ltd.

19. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

In fact, whisperwolf has a point. When I was last at the doc's - getting more painkillers - there was a young girl there, hobbling around with her shoe off.

Half an hour later I had an [prior arranged] appointment with the consultant at the hospital who sent me off for x-rays. Who else was there? No other than the young girl from the GP's. Still with her shoe off, incidentally.

If the GP thinks it serious enough he'll refer you and you should be scanned pretty quickly.

As for me, I'm doing ok, ta. My shoulder'll work properly again eventually.

I hope.