1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Arma 2: DayZ

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kingred, 24 Apr 2012.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Did you see the stuff on the new zombie path finding in the stand alone? Its so much better, so they can turn the movement speed back down and stop them being so frustrating.

And there maybe more guns,but they're balanced, like I often find guns but no ammo, or really loud guns ect.

And by more cars, I mean more than none, as the normal dayz has so few its not fun. Plus the dynamic heli crashes are fun. And cars with MG's ect are fun too. There are a silly number of dayz versions now though...

And zombies still are a threat, I often get eaten and loose blood. If you find them easy, try a hardcore server.

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

All we play is hardcore DayZ, some are First Person Only which can be rewarding.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I prefer it, I just hate how the zombies can see you from miles away...

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Pretty important component IMO. Is there really a different detection distance though?

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Zombies are a pain in the ass now, not so much for them spotting you from across the map but because when they do spot you they bring about 7 or 8 buddies and never give up chasing. They definately needed to be more of a threat but now they're almost impossible to avoid aggravating.

6. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

+1

Anyone played the Lingor mod? When they see you, literally 100+ Zombies are called to the party.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I actually like that, is its what zombies are ment to do. But with the sight/hearing as it is they can spot and hear you way too easily, so it makes being sneaky next to impossible...

8. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

imo this mod has dropped downhill like a scene from Cliffhanger.

When it was originally released it was great - some bugs etc, but they were acceptable and didn't screw things up totally (though sometimes it caused me having start again from fresh, like if I saved on a ledge and found myself stuck in a wall next time I started up) - it was just seen as an extra challenge.

Even 'lone wolf' was far better than now - but we had a small group and we thought it was fantastic. None of the group play it now.

At that time, it was much harder to find weapons, would take you days or even weeks to find enough parts to repair a vehicle enough to drive. One group were able to rebuild a helicopter (they were well known for it at the time - that's how rare it was) and other survivors were carefully avoided, rather than stalked or killed and robbed outright, as a matter of course.

in fact iirc if someone killed more than 6 other survivors they got a suspension.

All servers were synchronised, so everyone had the same stuff. The only difference was the difficulty, and having only ever played veteran servers, when I got to a 'normal' one, I was gobsmacked. That's were I found most of the 'tards as well. I think there were 7 servers in total in the UK, after the number was increased due to demand.

That was the problem - demand. Once word reached the Steam boys the demands changed, many more servers were brought online and the developers gave in to what they were being pestered for - and our group stopped playing.

It's far too easy compared to when it was released, and there are just too many high quality firearms and good vehicles around. Not to mention the fact that it seems 90% of players are just out to kill other players, effectively making it just another FPS. I have tried a couple of times in the last month or so, but spawning with enough firepower to make an SAS trooper envious is not my idea of a challenge.

If the best you could hope to find was a farmer's shotgun, it wouldn't be so bad.

I will doubtless try the standalone game when it is released, but I hope Rocket and pals do go back a bit and remember what started it all. From some of the interviews, it looks like they might just be doing that. We'll see. In any case, if it can be modded there might be hope that it could become a challenge of the right kind, regardless.

My tuppence :)

9. julianmartin

Not sure I agree with any of that really.

The original vanilla game on public hive servers was wrecked by hackers, hence the private hives came to fruition, which allow for more control for who can come in and out.

From the original game, a few weapons have been eliminated because they are too powerful, AS50 and L85 Thermal come to mind.

Vanilla still has no more vehicles than it originally did, and parts are no more common. What I think has happened is people have learnt more about how loot spawns work and have become a lot more efficient at finding the materials to repair a vehicle.

Compare that with a private hive, and almost all of them have a higher quantity of vehicles and thus they are more common and quicker to fix.

Some of the mods of the mod out there have made the game much more stable, faster and certainly harder. DayZero comes to mind, with its ridiculous agro rate which makes going stealth pretty much your only option.

Add in the random spawning of zombies in fields, tweaked so they can't spawn within your vision any more (which is in vanilla), the experience is just as absorbing if not more. Powerful weapons haven't spawned more - it's just everyone has learnt the best way to gear up quickly.

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I play on an expert server and guns and cars are no easier to come by than when I first played DayZ last year, harder in fact as duping isn't around anymore. I've not noticed any hacking on this server either, certainly not major game ruining hacking.

11. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

Well, when I went on a server about 3 weeks ago, I spawned new with a pistol, 249 MG, grenades, drink, food, painkillers, axe, matches and several other items.

What was the challenge supposed to be? Not getting slotted and robbed by a bandit?

That's not what I want from this game.

Okay, other servers may be different, but I don't want to spend a whole evening going around every server I can, just to find out.

People are afraid to talk on TS or VON in case some nasty bugger eavesdrops or cons them and does them over. I've been on servers with full TS servers and not a word is spoken for the duration.

It might be fine if you have a bunch of like-minded players who want the same thing and have a server they can set up how they want, to reflect that. But if you haven't, I think it sux really big time.

Still, like I said, I hold out hope for the standalone release.

12. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

There are plenty of "normal" servers out there. Once you find them you can stop searching and join them instead.

13. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Does anybody here have a regular DayZ group? Getting sick of being murdered on sight by everybody..

Send me a PM if you do, and I can join, please :)

14. julianmartin

Come join us on mumble. And download DayZero as that's what we are playing at the minute.

15. julianmartin

I highly suggest you try either the BMRF servers or DayZero on Zombies.nu. You're going on servers with absolutely whack spawn loadouts - I agree, it should not be like that, and there are many, many servers that are not. BMRF is your friend :thumb:

As for the TS and VON thing - part of the game really. If you reveal your location you should expect a follow up. Alternatively - why don't YOU try conning them? Troll the trolls, it's way more fun.

16. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

we've also played overwatch a bit the last couple of days, you might want to grab that. I've not died on it yet i don't think (and will now get shot on spawn no doubt).

the in game voice isn't too bad, certainly useful if you're not on mumble/ts, but be wary it attracts zombies at a greater range than it really should (it doesn't check your actual volume, just does it by distance and the fact you're using voice comms). I have encountered people whispering to try and avoid it...

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I like overwatch :) It seems fun so far, first hour I played stumbled on a big fire fight in cherno and killed a couple of people.

18. julianmartin

It seems strikingly easy to gear up, that's my only worry....

19. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i dunno, the only reason I've a DMR is some guy shot Danny and took it, and we went back and he got Danny but I got him. it's only the second gun i've had on overwatch and the first was an enfield fluidic gave me, i found loads of ammo but no guns before that.

I do love a good enfield kill though. And i think last night was my first proper kill with a winchester too :) now i need to score a double barrel kill.

20. julianmartin

I mean there's loads of places to loot. Like Vybor has a firestation, Cherno now has 3 (!), Cap Golova has a church and more, etc etc etc. There are way more higher value buildings, basically!