1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Arma II

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jake123456, 1 Mar 2011.

1. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

I would be very interested in taking part in a bit tech clan for Arma II
    Not really dabbled much in multiplayer as it's the sort of game where playing with "random idiots" isn't worth the hastle

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Wouldn't mind this also. Never really got into the single player - I kept getting to the point where a mission wouldn't end!

3. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

That is probably the Manhattan mission which is tricky, and sometimes it gets bugged too. But there is a code you can type in to finish the mission and then you can see the rest of the campaign. I loved the campaign actually, I just wish it was less buggy. But the multiplayer is great.

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The same thing happened in the first game too, so I got fed up with trying. I have never played MP though and it looks like it could be more of a tactical game than anything else on offer. It would be good to try it with a proper team though and not a bunch of 'run and gun' folks.

5. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

Enough people seem interested- If anyone wants to add my steam account (Profile here) feel free :)

6. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Flying choppers in this game is so much fun, shows BFBC2 how it should be done.

(Yes, I realise they are utterly different games)

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah, i spent more time flying my Mi-8 in the editor than actually fighting.

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I notice there is an extension 'Operation Arrowhead' - is this worth getting? Also, which mods are people using? I have the Steam version so not sure which patches will work/not work.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

OA is a standalone game, you'll need it if you want to play BAF and PMC.

10. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Yep, I just flew around like a mad man. Getting the knack for landing the Osprey efficiently was oh-so-sweet though.

I love the Huey lots.

11. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Op Arrowhead is definitely worth getting as it adds a lot of new content, including the far more realistic night sights that the original Arma II lacks.

12. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Ooo this thread makes me want to bite the bullet and buy a new build instead of waiting to do it when BF3 comes out...

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Thanks - DL'ing it now to see if I can get into it.

Checking various forums there is an ACE mod that seems to be very popular - does anyone here use that mod? Is it worth jumping straight into that or should I play vanilla OA first?

14. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

The multiplayer is really good. I don't usually play online FPS's, but this game is an exception because it's so good. There is a demo which lets you play online, but not sure how many people are still playing it (I think most people just bought it right away!). I played it a lot when it first came out and it was brilliant. I would make my own scenarios and then jump in with a bunch of strangers and we would work as a team to beat the crazy situations I had set up.

There were also better made missions made by other people that were great to play. It's all this great online stuff and all the different online modes, that made me just buy it. I got it today actually so plan to install after dinner.

Also like I said earlier on, the multiplayer is waaaay smoother. Because whoever is hosting the multiplayer server, their PC does the majority of the CPU calculations, so you get to play nice and quick and so long as your graphics card is good, you'll get a nice smooth experience with good graphics.

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I bought it today in the marketplace here, now looking for a cheap copy of Arrowhead.

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

What I need is a numpties online game where they don't mind that the new boy keeps getting it wrong!

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Blimey, what have you boys got me into! I was up until 3am playing this (not good when the kids wake up at 6am!).

I was playing the British Army expansion last night when I came upon a problem. Basically one of my guys got himself shot and kept calling out for a medic. The thing is that I have no idea where he is! He is not marked on the map and at this stage I cannot assume control of him.

I have my medic with me, but it seems he can only heal people he can see. My guy keeps calling for help, which firstly makes me feel bad because I have decided that my unit does not leave anyone behind and secondly quite frankly is annoying!!

Any idea how I find the poor guy before he dies from blood loss, is carried away by those pesky Tasakstanis or is eaten by a goat?

I had forgotten how much this game hits the graphics cards - my HD5970 OC was overheating a lot of the time!

18. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Depending on what level of difficulty you're using you could try pressing either the appropriate F number of the soldier who is wounded (the radio/voice should be shouting out his number). Alternatively you could try pressing tilda to select all soldiers.

Either way, the screen should show arrows and distances to either the soldier in question or all your soldiers.

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Thanks for that. I eventually found him crawling around.

I think I have been playing too many FPSs - it's taking me a while to get used to the more tactical approach to warmongering! At the moment most of the time my guys have polished off the enemy before I have even seen them (or I get shot!).

20. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

If there is a bit tech squad getting set up for this then im interested big time!. I have had arma 2 since it came out but just bought operatuion arrowhead last night. Who is getting it all set up? Anyobdy on here that has alot of experience with the game?