1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Arms dealing in virtual worlds

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 8 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

anyone stupid enough to pay someone for something that is in a computer game using real money deserves to be ripped off.

3. FredsFriend

FredsFriend New Member

exactly exactly what happened eh?

4. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I remember an old tale of this in EQ1, there was a small dungeon just off East Common Lands called Befallen and one day after a patch a NPC appeared for about 24 hours. I think it went something like if you gave him 1 copper he would return 100 platinum or something. Think it was a disgruntled employee looking to make some cash.

5. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I don't quite get how the guy originally got the supposedly illiegal weapons? Oh and what is Shanda's game project? :confused:

6. PA!N

PA!N New Member

[​IMG]
    :eyebrow:
    That is redicules... :duh:

7. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

happens in wow and diablo all the time.

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

That's why I never buy game currency - I always question, does it come from in game scams?

9. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark New Member

uuhh...eehh? wha? I don't get it?
    Could someone explain what was illegal here?

10. Tyinsar

The guy was miss-using his position as an employee of the company to make money. I suspect that the claim would be that he was essentially ripping off the company - It would be like a Macro$loth employee selling sections of program code.

11. PA!N

PA!N New Member

If I'm getting it right one of the guys who worked for the developer of the game coded illegaly ueber weapons for the game and then sold these in real life for $$$. Those weapons made the game a lot easier and the posessors overpowerfull.

edit:/ damm too slow :hehe:

12. scrumble

scrumble New Member

With the exception of a game like Project Entropia, which is free, and makes its money from selling in game cash, buying in game stuff with real cash is stupid as well as lame.

Some of my corp mates in Eve constantly buy isk on Ebay, but I never saw the point. The whole idea of the game, any game in fact, is to progress with in its world. What makes it worse, is that by using your head you can make a wad of cash in Eve with out really doing anything.

Buying online cash on ebay is like paying for cheat codes that run out.

Oh, and this'll give you an insight into some of the idiots selling stuff.

http://www.eve-pirate.com/index.php...d-of-an-isk-seller-common-among-them-all.html

13. Tyinsar

heh heh heh

14. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

so hes been prosecuted - what was the outcome then ?

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

As I repeat often, China needs to be banned from the web. It's a semi-serious proposition, but it could work in many circumstances. If MMO's had a blanket ban on chinese IP's then farmers could only farm and sell on chinese servers, set up specifically for the 1/6th of the worlds population that lives there. There are easily enough people for the servers not to be underpopulated, and the western world wouldn't have to put up with spammy annoying unbalancing cheats and farmers.

16. Bladestorm

Bladestorm New Member

Theft, done within eve and in that particular case by essentially a con artist taking money from people without enough common sense, isn't regarded as illegal in the slightest by the game developers by the way.

(Its not so much they are uncaring, as that they provide a freeform world and consider if people give there money away like that by trusting someone they dont know online, its not something the game should try to regulate)

17. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Game items are generally as a rule of thumb, considered to have no tangible real world value; this does nothing to stop people from assigning something to them though. If one were to sell something like a dreadnought for real cash in EVE Online, they would easily make $200 from it - however, this is prosecutable as it is not legal for trade.

Within the game of EVE, high profile corporate theft isnt a prosecutable event; instead, it is merely a piece of the game's intrigue.

18. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

exactly, infact i thought eve practically condoned scamming

Then you have Second Life, where you sell everything for real monays

19. ChromeX

ChromeX New Member

lol I never knew so many of you played eve, eve rocks! That aside...

What alot of you guys seem to be forgetting is that this wasnt just a simple farm items then sell scam. This guy worked for the company as a developer and MADE new items that would have made the players unbeatable. And sole those off for profit.

Does the guy deserve a court case? Nah not at all. But the developers of the game could argue for loss of earnings due to players might have left and quit paying there subs if they knew that certain devs were corrupt?

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Made me a fair bit of cash in D2 :worried: (mind you, I wasn't doing the hacking and whatnot). I love it when people are obsessed with their games to the point of spending five times the cost of the time on not sucking at it. *cha-ching*

Tags: Add Tags