1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Artefacting Wii display

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by severedhead, 1 Jan 2007.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Nintendo are indeed the tin-pot organisation that they sometimes seem to be. Another entire day of engaged phone lines? It beggars belief that a company their apparent size have such a pathetic setup to deal with their UK customers. Betcha Microsoft and Sony have something more professional in place to deal with customer enquiries and complaints. Oh and another three emails.... now seven in total, all ignored. Not even an automated response.

My opinion of the Big N has been destroyed over the last few days.

2. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Still no response from Nintendo + The problem has got worse + None in stock anywhere = problem.
    The retailer obviously cannot replace it yet due to lack of stock, but if I have a refund, how long is it going to take for me to find another?

:sigh:

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

A friend of mine ordered a Wii off Ebay with 2 games for £190, no Wii Sports though.

I can't link you here obviously, but if you PM me or MSN me I'll show you it.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Why are you guys dealing direct with Nintendo, you didn't buy it from them you bought it from a store, that's who you should be dealing with.
    Let the store sort it out with Nintendo, and offer you a replacement or refund.

5. K

K 528491

Well, I know for a fact that mook eBay'd his but it shouldn't make a difference. Microsoft's handling of 360 returns is swift and professional. Nintendo's sounds pretty crap.

6. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

Not too good then? keep us updated on this one! Nintendo has been ubducted by aleins!

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Engaged again all day.

Wii has been out of action for exactly one week.

Losing patience rapidly.

8. severedhead

I was wanting to find out how long it would take Nintendo to sort so I could use the fastest route.
    I'm rapidly thinking that Nintendo are not going to do anything fast, if anything at all though.
    The retailer obviously does not have any in stock and if I am refunded I face the possibility of not being able to obtain another for a long time. At the moment it is playable, but has been getting worse lately despite being kept in a cool place.

And as a tip for others, it stays a lot cooler when horizontal than when in its stand.

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm forgetting about the stock shortages at the shops.
    Just that when ever I've had a problem with something I've bought, I've always just taken it back to the shop and the problem is sorted out that day.

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It's a big shame that Nintendo are doing this. Something you may want to try is ring their Hint line and they may know about it.

Maybe it won't get you anywhere but at least you may be able to speak to someone.

11. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

FINALLY got through to Nintendo. Shame they literally employ monkeys to deal with customer service issues though.

My opinion of them continues to plummet.

Aside from the fact the nimrod who answered basically tried to imply the problem was my fault - despite the list of different solutions I tried - their customer support have absolutely no technical knowledge whatsoever. I got the distinct impression that my mother would have a great insight into modern TVs and games consoles than this guy.

My biggest gripe is that he couldn't give me any sort of reference number to attach to my console, or any ability to log my problem. So basically I've been told to send my console with nothing more than a covering letter, and a recorded delivery receipt. Oooooh reassuring. I fully expect it to be lost tbh.

Nintendo UK? Couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

12. severedhead

That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I think I will be returning it to the store then...

However...

My component cable finally arrived today. So I plugged it in, fired up the Wii and changed the output to 480p. No problems? Hmm, must be cold from not being used much. So I played Rayman for about 3 hours. Still no issues! All is looking good! Lets see how long this lasts.

13. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

My opinion of The Big N is being tarnished by this thread alone! My Wii has been nearly perfect since I got it. I did have a stress when my second Wiimote kept dying whilst loading Wario Ware...then realised it only supports one :s Disappointed? A little.

14. Missing Man

Missing Man What's a Dremel?

Dude, anything happened yet? I have the exact same problem (the lines, sometimes white, sometimes green/red lines/bars). Sometimes the consoles gone dead for no reason, too. I just packed mine up, after the recorded message just told me to pack it up and send it back with the problems listed. Then I realized there's no way I'm just sending it back with no proof of it being sent. I don't have a proper proof of purchase either (sent from Argos, though that shouldn't matter as CLEARLY it's not out of guarantee, since the Wii's only been out just over a month). Especially, incase they decide "it's fine". Any word...?

15. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I got my Wii today! So far, so good. Everything works like a charm. Well...Wii Sports works like a charm. I don't have any other games yet. I did have one small issue though:

When I tried loading up RE4 the Wii would turn itself off and would not turn back on unless I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I took out the controller, booted up the game, it started, I plugged in the controler, system shut down. I thought something was busted on the system, but when I glanced down I noticed that somehow my GC controller cord got chewed up and the wires were exposed and broken.

I determined that the system must have detected a broken peripheral and automatically shut down to prevent damage to itself. So far I'm loving my Wii, but it sucks that EU support is so terrible. Hope you get your problem sorted.

BTW, Gunstar Heroes rules.

16. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Nope, still Wii-less.

17. Neogumbercules

You're probably not in the mood for immature penis humor, so I'll just leave it at that.

One thing that this topic reminds me of, ironically, is how bug-free Wiis have generally been since launch. The Xbox360 was plagued by crashes, bugs, DoAs and took a lot of negative (blown up) press over that. The PS3 was bashed for it's HD support issues, some people reporting their saves get deleted, etc...

However, the Wii seems to have been going reaaaaly smooth, generally.

Sorry, not trying to rub it in or anything, mook. Yours is the first case of your particular problem I've seen on the 'net, which is generally a good thing.

18. severedhead

In a truly spectacular display of customer service I get an email back from Nintendo 1 day short of a full 31-day month.

Before I do anything like this however, I think I will wait to see how mookboy gets on with his and see how long it takes as mine is currently OK over component.

19. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Okay update.

Cost £18 to send back to Nint'y via recorded and insured delivery. No options available unless I wanted it to go uninsured. Grrr.

Anyway, rang up earlier, and the fella had a record of it arriving and being sorted. They've posted me out a brand new replacement as of yesterday via 48hr delivery. So hopefully will have it back this weekend.

The phone service and general helpfulness of the staff seems way better now. But still, an extra £18 and god nows how much on my phone bill later...

20. Neogumbercules

That wedding video in your sig is hilarious.

Tags: