1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artifacting and crashing - Radeon 1800XT

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TheVoice, 26 May 2007.

1. TheVoice

TheVoice New Member

Hi all, hope you can help me diagnose a problem I'm having.

I've had my 18000XT since last September, and it's given me no real problems (except for occasionally not allowing my PC to start properly) until recently. I'm now getting artifacting in games, and/or lock-ups/crashes that sometimes freeze the system completely, or sometimes allow the VPU recover thing to recover so it's usable again. I get the same issue if I try doing a scan for artifacts using ATi Tool or ATi Tray Tools. Both their artifacts tests show artifacts.

I'm struggling to figure out why this would be because it's caused me no problems until recently, and I have no problems in general day-to-day usage, only games.

A few months back I changed CPU and so also flashed my BIOS, and then shortly after that, re-installed Windows. Would any of these events have triggered this problem? I've tried a few different driver versions (I'm using non-CCC drivers, for what it's worth) and I'm still getting this issue.

Specs are:
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4600
    Abit AN8-SLI Fatal1ty
    Radeon X1800XT 256MB PCIe
    2GB of Corsair XMS RAM

I'll have Vista soon (next week) so I'll hopefully be able to see if this problem is reproduced there. My money is on either the card itslef failing (which seems unlikely), or a conflict between the card and the new BIOS. The latter would annoy me because this'd now be the second time that I've had a graphics card and motherboard conflict (this was a couple of years ago).

*sigh* Why can't computers just work?

Thanks for any help in sorting this. :)

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Did you try the card on a different motherboard? If the result persists, the memory or the core is going.

3. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Last September? Should still be under warranty then. ;)

4. TheVoice

TheVoice New Member

Unfortunately I've got no way of trying it on a different motherboard - I'm the only person I really know of with a PC; everyone else has Macs or notebooks.

Am going to put XP onto a spare HDD I have though, and see what result I get on there.

5. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Member

Have you tried cleaning the card and remove/blow any dust out of it?

6. TheVoice

TheVoice New Member

OK, it's not the drivers (tried various versions now), and it doesn't seem to be heat because I had it going for over 1,800 seconds on an artifact test and it was peaking at 83 degrees with no artifacts. Stopped the test, tried again, and it would artifact on the high 60s and low 70s (where it usually sits anyway).

Going to finally do the XP install now, see if a clean one of those changes things.

7. DLoney

DLoney New Member

Sounds like the cards memory is getting too hot.
    Just my two cents from past experience. I would try monitoring temperatures and possibly re-seating the cards fan, ect. with new thermal paste.

8. TheVoice

TheVoice New Member

Right, it doesn't seem to be my Windows installation either - did a clean install of XP SP1 (didn't bother with anything else), plus my motherboard drivers and the 7.4 Catalysts, and still saw problems. So I'm thinking the card is dead, in which case, it's back to Overclockers with it. Very annoying, especially as I'll no-doubt be without a graphics card for weeks now. :(

9. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

Your PC seems like it's a quality build, but what/how old is your power supply? I used to have a similar problem, where the card was good for a while until I started seeing artifacts...

After underclocking and trying everything else imaginable, I disconnected an extra HD and optical drive I had set up - and the problems went away. It turns out my PS couldn't keep voltage in check and this caused problems with the video memory, similar to them overheating/being overclocked too high.

10. TheVoice

TheVoice New Member

PSU is just over a year old, it's an Antec 480 TrueBlue II. I've got 3 HDDs so I might try disconnecting a couple of them and see what happens...

11. TheVoice

TheVoice New Member

Thought I might as well update. RMA'd it to Overclockers just over 3 weeks ago. Got my replacement back today - a 1900XT! It's still 256MB and the 1900 isn't really much faster than the 1800, but can't complain. Seems to be running OK so far though.

12. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I was having similar problems to what you describe, and I cleaned out the heatsink (it was buried in dust) and it's much more stable now :)