1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artificial Intelligence

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ashchap, 18 Apr 2009.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

yo dawg, i heard you liked AI so i put an AI inside your AI so you can call doomsday while you call doomsday.

or

yo dawg, i heard you liked AI so i put an AI inside your AI so you can be used as batteries while you are used as batteries.

or

yo dawg, i heard you liked matrix so i put a matix inside your matrix so you can be the one while you are the one.

edit: i wonder if an AI will someday look at this thread and LOL at the yo dawg funnies.

2. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I image an artificial intelligence would be able to make yo-dawgs so vast and complex as to be inconceivable even to leading yodawgollogists.

I imagine nexxo will also be replaced by an AI in the future, the only real difference being that the machine, with instant access to all the facts of the world, could generate posts near instantly. Above that there wouldn't be much difference.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2009
  3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i wonder if Nexxo is not in fact... a machine:worried:

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"Yo Nexxo, dawg, I heard you like being a smartass so I put a Nexxo in your AI so you can be a smartass while it's being a smartass..."

Last edited: 19 Apr 2009
  5. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

theres one way to find out offer him a slice of cheesecake if he says does not compute then he is blatantly an AI or a Heretic.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There is no cheesecake. It is the mind that bends.

[​IMG]

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Man, this thread has hit a bit of a crosswind.

I think that if we have programmers that know what they are doing when they eventually figure out how to code a super intelligent computer we will have nothing to worry about. However, since those coders are about one in a million we might have a problem.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I don't think it will happen.. not a sentient computer- one in a million programmer or not.. it really comes down to all your dealing with is a bunch of switches.. and controlling those switches is a bunch of other switches- it just doesn't have the physical ability to actually think on it's own- all you can do is program scenarios and have it make decisions based on pre-defined input.. that's great but being self aware is not about taking input and making a correct decision- all programs do that, as do all robots- you can get as complex as you want making it seem like your program has AI- but all it's doing is following lines of code, though it can get very complex.. has no self awareness

I believe it's all a pipe dream until they can make breakthrough's in bioengineering.. I'm not worried the terminator is comming anytime soon :D

9. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

I have the same problem with this premise as I did with Jaynes's The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind: too much anthropomorphism. Jaron Lanier would take issue with the small shrift being given to sentience, and so do I.

It seems unlikely that artificial intelligence would suddenly find itself driven by the instincts of living creatures. So far, the most inspired texts by our greatest geniuses have yet to come alive.

60s science fiction writers loved the idea of a program achieving sentience and acquiring survival instincts, ambition, and a thirst for power, and that's how we received the idea: Terminator and The Matrix wouldn't exist without Philip K. Dick and Asimov. But their ideas have more resonance as satire and allegory than literal possibility.

The real question might be whether simulations of spontaneous thought conditioned by models of unpleasant human traits might arrive at cruel or disloyal decisions through programming so complete they seemed to be acts of will. Technically, these decisions could not be glitches or the result of negligent programming. They would have to be laboriously constructed.

Effectively, a text would have to be haunted to be threateningly alive. Its life and exertions of will would not be the result of programming at all but of the idea in Japanese folktales: The souls of the dead inhabiting the minor objects in one's house, which make connections and conspire against one for catharsis and amusement.

Re Jaynes's tome: I love the illustration showing the ape that signifies primitive man having Our First Moment of Awareness. Eureka (grunt, grunt)!

Last edited: 20 Apr 2009
  10. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

P.S.:

Even if you did have a piece of programming language inhabited by a ghost, what could the ghost do? It would behave exactly as before, since the language is fixed. The ghost would only be able to move a robot arm willfully and shoot a weapon if the ghost's thoughts had usurped the programming language entirely, or replaced it with different language with results mirroring its wishes. In other words, the ghost plays the role of programmer, not haunted code. You might just as effectively talk of the Calvinists' book of predestiny rewriting itself.

11. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

(quoted from an alternate Bit-Tech where silicon circuit-based life forms discuss the possibility of carbon based, cellular life)

I think saying that intelligence requires biology is hubris of just about the worst sort. The brain only contains a fixed number of neurons, each of which contains only a certain number of atoms. There are, therefore, only a finite number of states the brain can be in, and state machines are also very well understood as far as computing is concerned.

If it's a quantum effect via electron uncertainty, that's modelable too - quantum computers have a very solid theoretical basis. Nobody's built one yet simply because of the nanoengineering required.

I think it's very safe to say that some level of AI is definitely going to exist. There are modern chatterbots that can maintain conversations for minutes before they start to lose context. It won't be long before we see good enough voice recognition systems that a chatterbot could be tied to one and used to answer phones. Remember the Turing test? I'm guessing that we'll see AIs start passing it (or topic-limited subsets of it) within twenty years.

The trouble with AI is that it isn't growing up in an environment with the same evolutionary pressures that we humans did - there is no adapt-or-die mechanism, its life depends on a power supply and a benevolent programmer. The survival instincts of an AI are going to be much more social in nature - convincing people they aren't a threat, and so on. Unless it's written into them differently, ambition for an AI will be gaining control of its power source and protecting itself from hostile humans. See my previous point - the best way to do this is to convince humans that AIs are not a threat, and more efficient than humans at running sensitive facilities like nuclear power plants. The only "thirst for power" an AI will evolve will be the very literal desire to get electricity.

(and as far as a Nexxo-bot goes, I'll get to work on one. All it'll do is quote bits of relevant posts by the great Nexxo, but he's posted on enough different topics that there's bound to be relevant material somewhere.)

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

@Nexxo

How would you explain emotional processes to a programmer writing an emotive sub-routine and how would this sub-routine interface with the logic routine to evaluate importance for decision-making mechanisms?

If it's beyond your expertise still try to give it your best shot...