1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asetek sues CoolIT over alleged patent infringement

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Aug 2012.

1. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Asetek make/made the H50 and H70. CoolIT make the H80 and H100, AFAIK. Not sure about the H60...

The patent system really needs an overhaul; recently patents are far broader than they should be. And proof of prior art seems to do nothing to stop a broad patent being approved. :(

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I am bored of these articles, but I do enjoy how so many people discuss and give their opinions on legal matters when they can't spell or construct a sensible sentence themselves.

Can we not just leave these lawsuit cases to the respective companies and their lawyers to deal with? If a company is going to fold or be taken over due to a legal case then fair enough but this general reporting of every single lawsuit is just over the top. Do you not have more interesting articles to write?

4. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Screw Asetek, then - that patent mentioned is so generic it would likely cover the entire market. Wait until they start suing companies that sell kits - rad, pump, block(s) and hosing intended to keep it a little easier on people new to watercooling.

If they want to take the Apple route of "competition", I'll take my money elsewhere.

Bloody_Pete - this is potentially bad for anyone that uses watercooling. At best, their retarded patent will get bounced on the 10 years' worth of prior art (durr, USPTO). At worst, they drive their largest competitor out of the market. Prices go up and Asetek gets lazy. After all, they've got the market to themselves, so they won't have to try that hard. At that point, somebody would have to cave and get a license, and that sure as hell won't bring prices down or necessarily drive competition.

Horrible as some people think Windows is, do you honestly think Apple and various Linux distro creators/publishers/forkers/whatever would be where they are without that 800lb gorilla? (I'm not talking Arch or Slackware, I mean the Mints and Ubuntus.) If nothing else, it gives them something to point at and say "see how stupid MS was with that? See how much better we did it?" Without MS first doing it wrong, they would have had a harder time seeing how to do it better (mostly as regards the UI. I'm well aware of the actual Unix/BSD underpinnings of OS X [also well aware that wasn't Apple's doing, but NeXT] and the inspiration or however you want to term it with Linux.)

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Don't let Apple see this sentence, as they will try to patent the fact that we are all born via a man and women having fun and they will try to claim they invented it to sue the whole population of the planet.

With this patent that has been granted, they could basically sue any company who uses a radiator for removing heat from a processing unit, car engine, fridge, freezer etc etc as it is far to open and wide ranging.

Oh well we should all jump on the Apple band wagon and start suing everyone for stupid things.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2012
  6. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

yawn

7. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Wouldn't diy watercooling constitute prior art? Asetek didn't invent any of that, they just took the diy community's work and then packaged it together in one patent.

8. Lockinvar

Lockinvar What's a Dremel?

Stupid patent is stupid. I have hated apple's practices for years, the latest farce being icing on the cake [of hate]. Looks like Asetek is in the same category.

9. Mcbeer

Mcbeer What's a Dremel?

Apple really kick started the lawsuit war huh?

10. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I'm sure Asetek is watching CoolIT thrive with Corsair. I can't do a case review without people asking "Will the H100 fit?" ....BIG revenue in enclosed loop sales today.... every manufacturer is pushing their branded version now.....

I predict out of court settlement with Licensing agreement between Asetek and CoolIT.