1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Ash stealth mediacenter. Small PC hardwareupdate 13/6-10

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by M.Ø.J, 20 Dec 2009.

?

Should i keep posting logs the way i do. Blurring what the build will end up looking?

1. Yes, thats gonna be more exciting than knowing what to expect.

29 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. No, id rather have the whole design shown, so i know where every part is gonna be located.

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. Really dont care. Im just looking at pics, so i wouldnt know anyway.

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

I did the exact same thing the very next day >.< The chuck key went shooting across the room and disappeared behind my bed. Might have to spray paint the think bright neon safety orange or something so I can see it in the chuck :duh:

2. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

I just cant see that you could gain anything significant from just a wire change unless you had long runs of wire.

3. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

Sorry i havent been much active on bt lately.
    Had some more surgery a month ago and have been on heavy medication and not able to use my hand at all.
    But went to the hospital for a check today and i should be able to start retraining my hand 26/4 and continuing on this project by then.
    That definately helped on the mood.

I will return for sure :)

4. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Oh crap, not good ;(
    Get well soon man, hope it heals up ok D;

5. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

Looks like im gonna get the bandages off, and the wires out on monday.
    So from their its rehab. Guess theres no better way to retrain, than continuing on my build. :rock:

Btw, you wondered about how to do a Hiedge HIFI setup. Ive become much wiser on sound these last weeks. Ill do a smaller guide based on my own experience if you would like m8.

Drink your beers and eat your toast.
    I shall return! :dremel:

6. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

Unfortunately no teasers yet thou i was very tempted, but !!

Updates arent that far away now. Just working through some major steps to make a proper log for all the time "ive been gone". Gonna start off with some more hardware next week. Followed by huge logs within the next month.
    Both The mediacenter, the cabinets for the electronics and some new logs for "usb shelfes" and an all new stealth cabinet for the amplifier. Also its all gonna change enviroment. Im putting all of it in a bigger room in my apartment since my HIFI system simply needs more square meters to pull air from ( laughs ). :thumb:

However im having a question. Since all the cabinets is only 23-25cm high i was thinking of having all airflow going horisontal and downwards. Will i encounter any problems doing this?
    Im thinking that not having fans added in the upper area of the cabinets could "trap" hot air.

Ive been doing few tests but havent encountered any problems. I have not been able to do fullscale tests yet.
    Im using 4 Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 - 80mm for flow. Offcourse i cant show how and where yet but its 3 for pushing air in and only 1 for taking air out.

All answers / links will be much appreciated.

As always, thanks in advance guys :D

Last edited: 7 Jun 2010
  7. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Just make sure to have enough airflow .. I just cooked my Logitech Z-5450 amp because it got too hot in my cabinet. Bummer.

8. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Oh sweet God yes! Finally a proper HTPC project. I must be the biggest audiophile and this is just awesome!!!

9. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

Damn, exactly such crashes i want to avoid. But then again i dont want 20 fans in the cabinet either if i can avoid it. :D

Lets se how it works out.

Thanks. Ive become an audiophile while working with this build. Im gonna post a log at some point on all the software to hardware solutions for bitperfect stereo or 2.1 and 5.1 sound.
    Since it does make a world of a diffrence. :thumb:

Be back very soon. Small hardware update is coming. :D

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

It's okay. It's was a super good reason for me to finally upgrade, so my new Yamaha amp is playing nicely. And with added airflow ;)

11. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

Just some more hardware for the whole build. This time its for the PC thou.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So as mentionend i got some silent eagle 1000 80mm for the build.
    Also got myself some sata cables for some 2.5" HDD´s

[​IMG]
    The box also had a few packs of astro DNA in it. Rumor has it that if you eat enough of these you will transform into the next doctor !! Sucks that i only got 2 packs.

[​IMG]
    And finally my HDD rack had some kids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wrapped up more sexy than my saturday latex stripper, the stork arrived with these. So i cancelled the stripper and went to unwrap these in the redroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Made a new tower for them. Took some 20minutes to make this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Made a new tower for them. Took some 20minutes to make this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Anybody notice a diffrence in size comparison ?

So the 4 2.5" HDD´s are 500GB Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS
    Left room in the tower for two more ohm, storage solutions which will be added lateron .:D

This means that im done with 3.5" drives for this build. Well, still have some external USB drives. But thats a whole other story.
    Im gonna install windows 7 in a matter of minutes. Just waiting for the new RAID array to synchronise and format. If all my hardware works out with the win 7 ive borrowed from a friend im gonna purchase my own version. Lets se if this might lead to a few SSD´s being added to the build :D

Ill be back very soon with more than just hardware updates. :thumb:

Last edited: 13 Jun 2010
  12. Nicksen

Nicksen Danish Kid :D

Lol XD Did they crash some golf balls to make those fans? XD

[​IMG]

Nice build. ^^

13. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

14. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

Haha ... My first thought exactly when i saw them pop out the box was: Jees, i knew that Tiger Woods had lost a lot of fans lately, but to take his stash of golf balls just to make some himself ? .. So now he is selling them of to get money for more hookers !? :jawdrop:

Heh. I originally wanted noctua fans for the build, but seems that most reviews and tests point toward the above fans for most silence performance and price is also much lower.

Thanks by the way. :thumb:

I have a realtek azalia onboard soundcard also, but offcourse using the DAC for stereo. Ill play around with the azalia to include in the log and se how good sound i can produce for bitperfect output with that. Just cross your fingers it supports ASIO or ReClock :blah:

Eat your toast and drink your beers as usual.
    I shall return !! :dremel:

15. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Hey M.Ø.J!
    I been following your project, though I not posted much. How your fingers healed up?
    Still loving this project :D