1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

asking for cctv footage from a workplace? my legal rights?

Discussion in 'General' started by Solidus, 11 Feb 2007.

1. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Hey guys,
    basically id like to ask my workplace for a copy of cctv footage with me in it. A fight broke out and id like a copy, does anyone know the law around this?

The footage was taken by camaras at my workplace and im unsure whether they are actually legally obliged to give it me or not? i was wondering if anyone knows?

I heard any footage taken with anyone in it, the people involved in it are allowed to ask for a copy for a small fee of like £10-20 according to law? but im not sure.

Can anyone shed some light on this? i ask because i know there are some smart people here =), i like in the uk, england to be precise.

Thx in advance!

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

Actually you dont, there are restrictions in place (from the Data Protection Act) to explicity stop unauthorised distribution of CCTV footage to 3rd parties. Despite being captured by CCTV you hold no rights to its use, other than stopping it being used buy 3rd parties without your consent, if your identity is obscured there is no limit as to who can use it though.

As most things, this is my current understanding of the rules and regs, your local Citizens Advice will be able to give you a defenite answer.

Of course if you are embroiled in a legal dispute then I beleive they are obliged to hand it over as evidence to the Police.

3. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Couldn't hurt to ask?

Also, as said, (kind of,) if you had a court order they would have to hand it over.

How bad was the fight? Are you thinking of suing the other party? The easy answer is to tell you contact a lawyer and bring this up.

4. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Think it depends on the size and scope of the security camera's as to if they are covered by the Data protection act, ie they need to be moveable and have focusing to be covered, individuals are allowed access to footage of themselves unless disclosure would prejudice criminal enquiries. the Information comissioner's office might also be able to help
    ICO

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

If the cctv footage clearly identifies you then it will possibly constitute your personal data under the Data Protection Act 1998. This will also depend on what extent you are the focus of the footage. However if it clearly identifies other individuals as well then it will potentially constitute their personal data as well.

Best thing to do is make a written request to your employers citing section 7 of the DPA and see what response you get back. They'll need to review your request and determine whether or not responding to your request would disclose information relating to a identifiable third party. If it does they'll have to get the third parties consent or determine whether it's reasonable in all the circumstances to release it without consent.

6. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

how i see it is you are entitled to view the footage within the CCTV ops room with a senior manager preasant. you will unlikley to be alowed a copy.

and if its anything like where i used to work the tapes are unlikley to have been changed for a while thus you not caught on camera.

there hav been atleast 3 incedences in different pubs i have worked in where the CCTV has failed to catch crucial aspects of fights due to bad placement.

one of thses occasions actually involved me getting shocked with a tazer. ( didnt feel it apart from the prongs touched me ) so in self defence i grabbed his wrist and tiwsted till he dropped the tazer.

the CCTV only saw him bring the tazer out and me forcing it out of his hand the time delay missed him hitting me with it.

now before any one goes onto how i shouldent be able to withstand a tazer attack. i know that what i dont know is if it was real or not all i saw was the clicking blue thing and felt 2 sharp things touch my skin what i dont know is if he ha it turned on lol.