1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development ASP querystring database query

Discussion in 'Software' started by pritsey, 28 Dec 2006.

1. pritsey

pritsey Minimodder

Hi all,

After some help please with asp pages and query string. I have an access db on my server which I want to be able to query using an A-Z list at top of a page. This is where you click on A (for example) and then the asp page will query the database using 'A' as the driver (eg WHERE field LIKE 'A%' etc)...

Instead of creating 26 different pages with a slightly different query in each, I'd like to pass a variable from the initial page to a single search asp page and the query takes the variable from the querystring - hope this is making sense!!!

Basically, I know what I want to do, but not quite sure how to accomplish it.

My code looks like the below at present:

<%
    accessdb=server.mappath("\private\Courses.mdb")
    mySQL="SELECT Courses.Company, Courses.[Address 1] FROM Courses WHERE Company LIKE 'A%'"

strconn="PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE="
    strconn=strconn & accessDB & ";"
    'strconn=strconn & "USER ID=;PASSWORD=;"

call query2table(mySQL,strconn)
    %>

Many thanks in advance!

2. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Pass the letter through in the query string (www.example.com/?l=a)

Then you can just append it to the query string...
    Code:
    mySQL="SELECT Courses.Company, Courses.[Address 1] FROM Courses WHERE Company LIKE '" & Request.QueryString("l") & "%'"

3. pritsey

pritsey Minimodder

eek - thanks! Works a treat. I was messing around with loads of different permiatations of the code last night but thanksfully you know what you're doing!

Cheers!