1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Assorted Modding Questions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Red Valdez, 14 Jul 2005.

1. Red Valdez

Red Valdez New Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking at starting my first real modding project soon (I'm inspecting a mate's Aopen fulltower this afternoon to assess it's modding potential :D). I've had a bit of experience cutting a few fan holes in cases, but that's about all the metalwork skill I have. Aside from a drill, angle grinder, sheet sander (forget the exact name :() and jigsaw, there's no powertools in the house.

* I'm going to be attaching large pieces of sheetmetal to the case, as there's a few huge gaping holes in this case (it used to have a watercooling setup in it). Should I attach the sheetmetal with bolts or rivets?

* How easy is it bend sheetmetal? (Possibly 1mm thick) Would it be something I could do at home, or I'd need to get someone else to do?

* How easy is it to cut plexiglass? Same techniques as jigsawing a fan hole? Does it crack easily? What is an ideal thickness to use for a window?

* How can plexi be glued together? Superglue, or do I need something more specific?

* There's a LOT of paint on this case (thanks to the numerous owners). Would using a mechanical sander to sand it back to bare metal be a bad idea? (I ask this as I rarely see people sand back their cases using any method apart from by hand)

* I've never used bog/body filler before. Does it cover/fill holes? You can see some holes on the right side of the motherboard tray in this review (second image)... I'd like to fill them in if possible.

* I'm thinking of moving the location of the PSU. Would the four screws alone be enough to hold a heavy (Antec TruePower) PSU in place, or would it need more support?

* A dremel may come in handy while working on this mod. Since I'm stingy/poor, I don't want to buy an expensive one. Supercheap sell a "rotary multi tool", which is 135 watts, has 40 piece accessories, variable speed and carry case with 2 year warranty for $29. Dick Smith has a 130watt tool for $29 too. I'm leaning towards the Supercheap one, as it's closer in town for me. (If you dont recognise the names of these stores, it's because I come from a land downunder :D)

Also, would the supplied cutting disks be reasonable, or would it be in my interest to get some good quality ones from a proper hardware store? If yes, are there any particular brands or types I should be looking out for?

* Lastly, if there are any Aussies reading this, can you recommend me some spraypaint? I spraypainted my amp with Wattle spraypaint a few weeks ago, and it turned out OK. However, I applied some Taubmans clearcoat... and it sucked, to put it bluntly. I don't want to make the same mistake again :\

I know this is a rather sizabe post, but I'd appreciate any replies :)

Cheers.

2. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Active Member

1. pass

2. If you have a large vice then use a flat plank (i use about 2cm by 5cm, about 1 meter long) to bend the metal uniformly, around the vice, it can be quite tough on large sheets of metal.

3. About 5mm is good for a window, it alows you to insert LEDs (3mm) around the edge of it to llight it up. Cut it with a band saw if you have acces to one.

4. Pass

5. I guess if you use the mechanical sander, put it on a low setting, and be careful :)

6. If you mean the spare set of mobo connectors that are too the right, it shouldnt have any problems :)

7. I would make a ledge for the PSU, as the weight of the PSU will cause alot of stress on the screws, espesialy (sp?) the top two.

8. I get away with using my dads 12v 'before dremel were invented' tool, it can just about manage most things, but struggles with cutting metal.

9. N/A

Hope this helps ya :) happy modding :dremel:

3. infered101

infered101 New Member

1. If your covering it up for good then use rivets less to deal with.

3. There is alot of ways to cut plexi. You can use handsaw. dremel on low speed. Score and snape technique harder then the rest so i would try it on scraps to get the feel of how to do it. Dont use anything fast though it will crack the plexi.

4.Go to a hardware store and ask if they have something like plexiglass epoxy or something that seals 2 peices of plexiglass together.

5. IF the case is metal use a paint stipping wheel. They are made of a special plastic type stuff and it will only leave miner scratchs in the metal. Either that or you could possibly get by with a chemical paint striper but give it PLENTY OF TIME to set and do its magic.

6. I think what he means is he wants to fill the air holes on the back panel. THe ones alot of people fill and yes you can fill them. My suggestion is back the holes with duct tape and prep the surface real good so nothing chips off. Becuase if one corner chips off then you have to redo the corner over. The duct tape can be removed after all the holes are filled.

7. You could get by without making some sort of ledge but i really wouldnt suggest it. I mean how hard is it take some spare plexiglass get a heatgun bend it then mount it under where you going to put the psu.

8. ITs all about quailty cheap things tend to be cheap. Meaning youll burn the motor out or something in a month or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 then have to buy a new one. If you have the money get a dremel or something that costs more like a black in deker (spelled wrong but ohwell) or sears(probally not have one in aussi but hey). The thing dremels really stide on is durability and long lifes. My dremel's only problem is i lost the front cap so now i have to use the flexshaft for everything and ive had it for 5 years.

4. Red Valdez

Red Valdez New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. However, I'm not sure if I'll still progress with the mod. I've inspected the case this evening, and it's not quite as suitable as what I was hoping it could be. Regardless, the info in your posts won't be wasted, I hope to put it to good use one day.

Cheers ;)

5. liuh

liuh New Member

more info on 4:

you can use a thing called "acrylic solvent" or a plastic cement type product. It's toxic, so make sure you use it in a vented area :) it basically melts plastic together, you can get it at a hobby shop, it's where i got mine.