1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus A8V problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rolo, 15 Feb 2006.

1. Rolo

Rolo Member

just setting up a new system with one of these in, and it just wont pick up any sata drives when i try to install windows. When in bootup, it picks it up, with some odd status window so i know it IS there. ok so the bios isnt an award one and is a bit crap to navigate too, but i dont think im missing anything. However, when i try to install windows (after making the floppy sata disc using the given cd) and continuing to install the drivers through the standard f6 route, i go to install windows and it says there are no hard drives present.

im pretty stumped at this stage and googling hasnt brought up any similar problems so far so ive nothing to compare to, also the asus website is a bit rubbish for some support things, so thats no help either.

any help appreciated, many thanks

Rolo

p.s. how do i internet? lolz

2. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

Yeah, I had some problems with this board and my SATA drive when I still had it. Basically, you need to disable the IDE FastTrack RAID thing and enable the VIA RAID thing in the BIOS for it to properly detect even a single SATA drive, at least that's how it was for me. Otherwise, it detects the drive, but doesn't configure the BIOS to use it and therefore doesn't pass the information to any OS.

Other than that, you're doing it right. Use the floppy in the bootable Windows install, tell it to load the drivers for the VIA SATA chip, et voila.

3. Rolo

Rolo Member

only flaw i have with that adnuo is that the board has no raid function, as its pretty much just the bog standard a8v entry level 939 board (agp) so as such has no options in the bios (hence my questioning in irc, and your reply of BIOS ;))

4. dangrmouse

dangrmouse New Member

i used to have that type of problem with my sata drive with a pre sp2 version of win xp i did all that drivers on a floppy and stuff and it still didnt work :wallbash: ...untill i got sp2! :hehe:

5. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

:eek: really? I assumed it did, as the K8V I'd used did :/. Sorry about that. I guess the only other advice would be this -- use a bootable drive utility, like the Seagate tools or whatever. See if it shows up there. If it does, it's a Windows installer problem. If not, it's a BIOS problem.