1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ASUS and Gigabyte combine forces

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 9 Aug 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

From my personal experiences with Gigabyte brand motherboards, I can't say I"m excited or even enthused about this new company between the two. Are we going to get decent motherboards with features you don't need and missing features you need/want but now with a crappier BIOS? From the Gigigabyte boards I've dealt with and owned, they're nice and reliable but if you want to overclock it then go somewhere else. In fact, one of the features on my current motherboard is their dual BIOS which is fairly pointless. If one of the BIOS chips burns out, there's no warning or anything telling you that it's using the second BIOS. Besides that, I couldn't tell you when the last time I fried a BIOS chip was.

Aside from all of that, it's a big year for company mergers, isn't it? We have Alienware/DELL, ATI/AMD, and now Gigabyte/ASUS. Next thing you know, we'll start seeing Microsoft gobble up game developers houses like id or Valve.

3. MidnghtDrgn

MidnghtDrgn What's a Dremel?

As I read this, its not a straight merger, they're both financing the formation of a new company, correct? Gigabyte and ASUSTek will still exist independently?

4. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I wonder what Gaysus products we'll be seeing...

5. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

I hope some good conroe boards!

6. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Thats a very cute cat in the picture.......sorry....i thought someone should say it.

7. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Didn't Maxtor merge with someone too recently? And Adobe/Macromedia. It seems as though the IT industry has become so big, that mergers are the only way to expand now.

Microsoft have been swallowing up small developers for a while now, but I doubt the likes of ID and Valve would give in... or at least I hope they don't :worried:

8. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Actually, if I recall correctly, the tag line was "By your powers combined". :p

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Are you sure any new products from the collaboration would be released under that banner? Surely As-Byte is a lot snappier... ;)

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is getting out of hand, someday soon there will be only a hand full of companies that will dictate the world, monopoly anyone?

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Strikes me as a bad thing personally.

Asus are making probably the best enthusiast motherboards as of late and that trend looked set to continue (DFI have been doing alot of good work too). However while cheap Gigabyte motherboards may be quite mainstream they've never really produced a quality enthusiast board thats had us shouting.

Their merger suggests to me one of two outcomes:

-Asus technology/quality on a larger/cheap scale = PRO
    -More Gigabyte style mainstream boards aimed less at the enthusiast = CON

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You mean like AsRock? :rolleyes: 'Quality' & 'Cheap' don't often come together. :sigh:
    It could make business sense to end the AsRock range and use the Chinese production facilities for a more marketable name like Gigabyte.

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

This is a real shame imo, Gigabyte make good kit.

14. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Last three builds have used Gigabyte boards, I've considered them the best boards. I look forward to seeing what ASUS and Gigabyte can do togother.

L J

15. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Yes, Seagate bought Maxtor.

Personally, I am kindof excited about this little venture. Gigabyte is known for great new innovations while Asus is notorious for having very solid boards that are decent overclockers. I think a company able to produce products offering the best of those two worlds should be able to do pretty well (assuming of course that the products they come out with are innovative, solid, and overclockable)....

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

asrock boards suck, cheap and low quality and performance.
    i hope to see good gigabyte boards at good prices.

Tags: Add Tags