1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus Eee keyboard could be out in May

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Mar 2009.

1. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

this thing should have built-in WiFi, and tbh I think it will play 1080p just fine, but if you're like me and you really don't care about hi def, this thing looks awesome. The idea of having a keyboard that's pushing to my screen and pulling dvd-rips off my fileserver in the closet makes this thing an attractive piece.

I'm already thinking of the possibilities in my house for this thing.

2. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

What makes you think it will play 1080p video just fine? The performance of this PC will be the same as the Eee PC in this video:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9894/video_via_s_nano_kills_intel_atom_at_1080p/index.html

3. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Wait, what? Atom and 1080p, you must be kidding. Atom struggles with 720p Xvid decoded with CoreAVC (easiest thing to decode next to low-res Xvid), 1080p Xvid gives a nice slideshow and 1080p X.264 with multichannel sound gives the "watching grandma's holiday pictures" effect (one frame every five seconds).

Atom wasn't made for this, I think that some manufacturers got a little carried away with enthusiasm and stretch it too much. Unless it will run Ion, wchich isn't very likely. Via Nano would be a much better choice, it can at least play 1080p smoothly and Nano + Ion would be so sweet I would buy five of them.

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

sorry to spoil the fun, but wireless N isnt anyware near reliable for 1080p deployment unless you happen to live in the middle of no-where and dont use bluetooth, cordless phones etc etc. My HTPC was originally setup like that but after so much trouble i just run it on CAT5. it sits there and dosnt have to move so it was the right choice.

Nice keyboard tho, as a remote for my HTPC it would be perfect,

5. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Wireless HDMI or not. Surely it requires a battery to run making it slightly pointless?

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

if it cant decode 1080p then its largely pointless, if it can its genius

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

isnt the main factor for an HTPC is storage? so you can store all your movies and music into one place to access them to watch? I mean I guess you could do wireless networking and have storage somewhere else, hmm well it certainly has potential.

8. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I wish they will make something like this for the upcoming Nvidia phone, Imagine if you had a laptop like device that was only a screen and keyboard with maybe a cd drive. It does not have a computer but allows you to insert your Nvidia phone and use it as the computer. All the parts in the laptop device just add to it, like a full size keyboard and screen along with more battry life. Depending on how advanced the software and hardware is in the future it could run a regular version of windows in this mode or Linux and act like a regular laptop. This would be light weight and very portable. Such a modular system is what I dream of in the future where I can have one device that can rapidly be adjusted to meet different needs on the go!

9. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

If they used the Nvidia 9400 chipset it could play 1080p. Otherwise there's no chance.

10. HourBeforeDawn

well intel does have an HD chipset and on something like this Im sure they would push it as they dont have an agreement with nVidia hence the whole ION2 being VIA as the Atom was/is a flop. To be fair anything can play "1080p", its just a matter of if it support HDCP and the other hi-def encryptions.

11. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Not anything can play 1080p. The atom is too slow to play even low bitrate H264 1080p, let alone 40mbit blurays. Intel's current line up of GPUs don't do DXVA properly AFAIK. The nvidia chipset does, and it has a bonus of being able to hardware accelerate H264 at levels higher then 4.1.

I realize it won't get that chipset because of the nvidia intel stories. But if it uses the intel chipsets i won't be sold. If it uses a Nvidia chipset with DXVA and Cuda I'd definitely be sold.

HDCP compliant support is only to enable bluray playback off the disc to a digital display. Your hardware has to be powerful enough to decode the codecs first. HDCP is the last priority IMO.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2009
  12. HourBeforeDawn

well the dual core atoms handle it fairly well but I wasnt stating playability just the fact that 1080p as a reference isnt a closed statement so anything can potentially play 1080p as its just a resolution unlike blu-ray, there is a difference between 1080p and blu-ray, yes they are both 1080p but one has protection the other may not, thats all I was saying, so for it to be a true HTPC setup they would have to use one of intels HD chipsets with the ATOM and it would have to probably be a dualcore atom, either way I dont see it being successfull as an HTPC but as maybe a surf the internet with your tv kind of deal.

13. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Hum... carry a keyboard around and depend on having a tv/monitor to use or carry a laptop that has its own screen? Methinks I go with a laptop which I could connect to a bigger tv/monitor if one is available.

That being said, I am not a fan of laptop keyboards. Don't use them that often, but the smaller dimensions can be a pain for someone used to typing on a normal sized keyboard.

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That looks very cool but does it come in black?

15. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

It doesn't have enough storage space for an HTPC. The battery life is unlikely to be good enough for an evening's TV or a couple of films, especially in HD. So this is going to need to be plugged it to the mains, negating the usefulness of wireless HDMI. It is also going to need to have access to a (most likely) networked store of HD movies.

So why not save the trouble, plug your fileserver into the TV and get a wireless keyboard or an eee as a remote? That way you save money, still have the convenience of being able to control it from the sofa and possibly have a laptop to carry around with you!

Dear me I am having a cynical and depressing outlook today...

16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Yes because all my monitors and TVs have wireless HDMI support.

I have enough problems with Wireless routers.

I doubt this will be able to play 1080p video over wireless HDMI.

Tags: Add Tags