1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Eee PC 900

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 18 Apr 2008.

1. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I had an earlier version but the puny screen, lack of storage space, lack of CD/DVD drive all put me off. This partly fixes the screen issue and tempts me a little but at $400 the 4G 701 model was too much money for too little. If the I could get the newer version for under $300 I'd consider it - until then...

2. Xir

Xir Modder

..it's on pre-order in Germany for 33% more than the EEE 701 (400€ instead of 300€) :)
    Considering it has 16GB more flash which would be around 50€ by itself, a good price. And likely to come down, as it's a pre-order.

Available...probably somewhere end of June... :-(

3. gvsopic

gvsopic What's a Dremel?

This product line seems to be loaded with malware for some odd reason. We have had it twice now happen at two random stores. We buy a EEE PC 900 and find that there is a worm (I believe the NOOH worm) sitting comfortably on the machine out-of-the-box! The worm's symptoms are as follows: Command prompt is disabled, task manager is disabled, registry editor is disabled, every time you choose to show the hidden files in view options it reverts back to the do not show setting. So far I have not yet completely neutralized the worm but I've been able to find some of it's tracks: an autorun.inf on the d: partition with a companion sys.exe file. A similar problem was reported with the Desktop version of the EEE machine. The guys at The Register and PC advisor resound the same findings. I've managed to run UBCD4Win through an external CD drive and scanned the machine. AVG turned up with the following malware:

I-Worm Stration.BOC
    Generic3.KXG
    Win32/Sality

Kaspersky Virus Removal tool is still running and it is digging up a lot more crap. This system does not look salvageable to me, not even if they had provided a recovery cd/dvd ( who knows what might be on there!). This is not just disconcerting, it is outrageous that ASUS should allow such incompetence to reach out and damage their customers' networked environments. Obviously they consider the middle-east their garbage dump, no wide scale recall happened here, unlike in Japan. How wonderful.

Tags: Add Tags