1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Asus EeePC & XP 64 bit?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Akava, 19 Sep 2008.

1. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Righty, I'm looking to get an Asus Eee PC, probably the 1000 (Linux).

The problem I have is that at college all the machines are Windows based, so it would make sense if the Eee I had was Windows too.

The problem with that is, I don't want the 1000H because a portion of the point for getting an Eee is the SSD, not a big problem I grant you, but non-the-less.

So the only solution is to install XP Pro myself on the 'nix version, I have a key and the disc's etc, but only for the 64 bit version, so my question is, will the Eee run a 64 bit OS?

Last edited: 19 Sep 2008
  2. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Looks like I may have answered my own question...

http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupID=36331

So this means that as it doesn't have the 'Intel® 64 Architecture' it can't run any 64 bit OS right?

EDIT: Just had a thought, would it be possibly to run XP Pro 64 Bit as a virtual machine within Linux? Thus giving me the functionality that I require while also giving me a good size SSD.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea it'll run a 64-bit OS. I've installed Vista 64 on an Atom machine before.

4. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Awesome, I'll just run the Linux version with XP on a partition then, ta very much for the info. :thumb:

5. CasperHazeo

CasperHazeo What's a Dremel?

The answer above is wrong...

You can only install a 32 bit version of Windows on the Eeepc. ... Even the n270/280 support 64bit but this is disabled by Intel on purpose ...

sorry..much luck in the future!:rock: