1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Strix Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 21 Jun 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Tosh. If a reviewer tells you a product is fantastic and recommends it that's usually a nod to go ahead and buy it.

Some one wrote in CPC once (might have even been Bindi) that PC stuff is being made and sold by people who don't want to listen. They make products they think people want and then can't understand why they have failed.

So what bearing does this have? quite a large one, actually. If Nvidia release cards up to 100% more expensive than their last gen cards in the same tier and all of the reviewers are excitedly telling us how wonderful they are then people will buy them. If however they had a chance to voice their concerns and explained to Nvidia that the cost of entry is too high etc and people did not buy because of this they would be forced to listen.

However, it's a no win situation. If you tell a company you think their product sucks they throw a sulk and strike you off and you no longer get their gear to review.

Look at that Corsair thing recently, where one of their employees/reps came and asked exactly what people wanted. Look at the response from people who don't review hardware.

"Your fans are cheap and nasty"

"Your cases can be flimsy and made to look better than they are"

And so on. Now go and find me a review of their fans/cases that ever points any of that out ! you won't find it !

So these people not only do what they want to do and make products they want to make but they then throw a strop *if* some one has the balls to speak out.

Unfortunately that number of people these days is zero. Tom Logan learned the hard way what happens if you paint a product badly. Over a year off from Kingston and nearly 18 months before NZXT gave him anything else.

As for me understanding the situation? I understand it perfectly well, thanks. We are being f****d royally and you're blaming it on AMD ! it seems to me that you don't quite grasp the concept of being conned.

Yup. If Nvidia are miles ahead and fully in control then it's like watching a boxing match with one of the boxers missing both his arms.

This isn't competition it's complete dominance.

Watch in a week or two when Nvidia release the 1060 for £220 or so every one will say "Wow thanks Nvidia good old Nvidia !" without realising of course that the only reason the price was as it was was down to AMD. Had it not been for the RX 480 they would have been hung out to dry for £300+

I think Rollo gets confused sometimes, because in his mind it's actually AMD's fault.

Honestly the whole situation just sucks. I remember a time years ago where I had so many choices on GPUs. Now it's a good one or a crap one. There's nothing in between the two.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2016
  2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I wonder if AMD and Nvidia will ever release similar cards again, at the same price-point and at the same time?

It would be nice for a change.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Can't see that happening Yadda.

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Sadly Rollo, I think you're right.

5. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Since AMD moved away from TSMC the difference between cards from AMD and Nvidia will only increase in the future (which one will come out on top remains to be seen with each product cycle, but similar schedule and such? A thing of the past unless massive coincidence).

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Not been around for the past week and just catching up here now... and... well... it's a cesspool of diatribe in here.

We shouldn't 'blame' AMD for their part in the current situation (after all, it is their previous business decisions that has led them to be in the financial and development situation that they are) but rather 'go to the source' and blame nVidia for price gouging. Yet at the same time, we shouldn't 'go to the source' and blame those willing to buy these products but instead we should blame the reviewers for biased and manipulative articles that somehow coerce buyers in to parting with their cash?

If the opinions of the reviewers here and elsewhere is so corrupt, why even come to the website?
    (That is rhetorical, please do NOT bother to answer that...)

Seems like I can even enjoy a good hardware review any more... I can't imagine how the guys behind the site feel. Water flows from duck's back... be like duck. :)

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Same here - been offline for a bit.

I say - review the tech, compare it to its peers/ancestors, give us the price. I'm assuming we're all adults. Vote with your wallets.

Tags: Add Tags