1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ASUS GeForce GTX 760 MARS Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 4 Dec 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I hope asus aren't going soft in their old age; I hope they will still do a batsh*t crazy dual 780ti card. That's gonna need a new name now.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There's a lot in the works, but bringing more affordable ROG cards like this and the R9 280X MATRIX to market have both been well received so far! ;)

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Why no comparison with SLI 760s?

Especially considering you can almost buy three stock 760s for the same price.

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

We only have one :p

6. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

2gb per gpu... a decision so bad only ever better by my other half when she has a bee in her bonnet about the next new fad.

1440p will be the limit here and as games progress itll be 1080p. Dark times

7. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Exactly! Buying this card is extremely shortsighted and quite frankly foolish for the money.

0/100

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I can't see the appeal above a 7990 I'm afraid. I think a far bigger spanner in the works than you let on. I think you've been overly kind.

9. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Can't they still go back to the ARES desig?

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Duel GPU cards have always had a nieche area and if you have limited space + 1 pcie slot only then they can offer better performance than could be obtained elsewhere.

The 7990 is the better duel gpu card if that is the case though.

Problem for all duel gpu cards if you have the space 2 cards in sli or cfx will be 10-15% minimum higher performance. so 2 7970s or 2 760s will be faster than this card or the 7990 and are alot cheaper than both to boot. you could pick up 2 7970s for under £400 last week not sure on todays prices.

All Duel gpu cards suffer this comparison though.

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

This card is a great idea in principle, tragically spoiled by the price. It's lovely to look at and beautifully engineered, but like EVGA's 2win cards unless Asus can start making them at realistic prices then they are going to be priced too closely to a single card with similar performance that doesn't suffer from any issues*.

If Asus went about this with a more mass market appeal and made it cost around the same as, or less than, two 760s then it would work. I just feel at £520 there are better, less custom choices. I have seen 690s selling open box for £400 recently, so a £120 jump over that is a lot of money. The 7990 has been selling for £380 or thereabouts....

So nice try Asus and claps from me for trying but the price is wrong..

*whilst I haven't seen many issues with SLI over the past couple of years I can't pretend that they don't exist.

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I was interested in this article not because I thought it might bring high performance at a reasonable price point but because it is not an nVidia sanctioned reference design. As far as I know ASUS are the only ones will the balls to try something like this. I like the fact that ASUS brought something new to the table and didn't just sit around replicating copies of every other company.

13. AlienwareAndy

Loads of companies make custom dual GPU cards now dude. EVGA made two 2win cards and Powercolor and another company made a custom 7990 long before AMD made one.

And every single time they're ruined because of the price. They always cost more than buying two cards (usually a lot more) so are literally for those who want something unique, not a mass selling card.

Which is a shame because SLI is absolutely great now.

14. David

It's "dual", dude. :)

Please excuse the pedantry.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2013
  15. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Waist if your gaming at 1080p...

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Not really. Games like the Crysis and Metro series need a lot of grunt.

Having said that, you'd be better off with a 7990 as others have said.

17. AlienwareAndy

You'd be surprised at how many games need that sort of power at 1080p now.

18. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

Don't see this as interesting card since its basically an air cooled only re badged GTX 690.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The vast majority of gamers only use 1080p. 1440p and above is still a nice to have but barely out of single digits. You'd be surprised how many game UNDER 1080p!

We are expanding our ROG line. It's not longer about the extreme end of the wedge, I hope it will be appreciated all serious gamers in future. We've already got the MATRIX R9 280X which has been hugely popular, and we've now got Poseidon for GTX 770 and GTX 780, and there are other cards coming next year. :) We've had a dual GK110 design for 18 months already but difficult due to restrictions unfortunately we cannot release it - there are none on the market, in fact. ARES II was very popular this year however: we sold everything!

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Dec 2013
  20. David

Wrong! Thanks for playing, you've been a great contestant.

Do you have any more false conclusions you wish to jump to? :p

Tags: Add Tags