1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS Introduces the All-New Eee PC

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Guest-16, 31 Oct 2007.

1. jfab199+

jfab199+ New Member

My question was more of the performance difference between the 1gB of ram vs. the 512, I would assume on this type of machine it wouldn't make much of a difference. As far as laptop territory I tend to disagree, since most people don't need that much hard drive space on it not really necessary as there are always external drives. I plan on getting one and just sticking in at least a 4gB SDHC card in it and I have a 2gB thumb drive and a 40gB external already

Does anyone have one and installed XP on it, curious how well/crappy it runs?

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, although people say 1GB makes it snappier (which wouldn't surprise me) - most of the time my RAM usage is below total. If I open up Opera, let it have as much RAM as it wants and have a few tabs in that, as well as having firefox, a terminal, kwrite, pidgin, and the file manager open I can fill all of my RAM and things feel a little slower. But not much, tbh. I'll probably upgrade the RAM to 1 or 2GB at some point, but I'm not feeling that having 512MB some huge limitation. If you compare how much ram PC's generally had in the days of 600Mhz CPU's, this isn't exactly low.

As for WinXP performance - word on the web is that it runs, and it runs quite well, considering, once you've stripped it down with nlite. However it's not going to be as polished as the xandros distro when it comes to EeePC performance. I'd strongly advise, unless you have a great need to stick with WinXP, to give the Xandros distro a proper try. It makes the most out of the hardware.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's been reviewed to death, but we do have something a little different planned for the Eee PC ;)

4. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

extreme underwater testing?

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Ooo when can we expect that?

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Hopefully it'll be over the Christmas period. :)

7. jfab199+

jfab199+ New Member

Somewhat true

As far as XP I would never have any intention of doing so, as far as the ram issue, wondering whether the the extra $100 for the 8g version is really worth it as 4gB is plenty for me, and while upgrading the ram is simple not sure I would want to void my warranty that quickly(I can't seem to justify $100 for the 8g)