1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus leaks GTX 580 specs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 4 Nov 2010.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Under the assumption that the listed price reflect's ASUS's true price upon launch and that converted cost is roughly accurate (within £20 pounds or so), ~£500 is still a large figure. It's higher than historical launch prices, even on top of the line GPUs, which is the basis for arguments such as my own cliaming that it will need to be excessively powerful as well to balance that. Not saying it can't be, just that it will have to be.

The reasoning of buying a card based on one's level of money is sound, but often doesn't apply to top end cards like these. The buyers who would seriously consider a card such as this are likely buying for a certain level of performance, and will then choose the cheapest option to meet that level. When the costs of all options at that level become disproportionately high people get a bit uneasy, expect some hate and discontent if this GTX580 price is true and AMD releases cards at similarly high ones.

For the scaling of SLI and CF, both have greatly improved over the years. The GTX4xx series has recently shown excellent SLI scaling, which is where we get the rush of 2xGTX460s coming from. I haven't followed CF scaling as closely, this review shows it hitting 100% scaling when pushed hard enough. For the support of each of them? That I'm not terribly well versed on and it's really more of a person to person basis. There aren't too many help threads on this forum lately for either one so I'd assume they're both decent, though the 5970 specifically has given some people BIOS grief.

2. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Member

It's still great consumer news if the major players have viable premium products available - let the ensuing price war decide where you put your money.

Where I am at right now - my 280GTX is getting old, I game at 1900x1200 and it's starting to show it age on new titles (especially online gaming), I have dipped into radeons and had all my hopes turn to despair with one issue or another each and every time. I am sure others had similar Nvidia issues too, but it's the old saying 'once bitten, twice shy'.

Fermi GF100 was massive disappointment (not in it's performance, just heat, PRICE and noise), the GF104 (GTX460) was tempting but it's not that much quicker than what I have right now meaning an earlier need to upgrade.

Certain games I play dislike multi gpu so sli/crossfire is off the cards for me (unless the single gpu performance is also excellent) - so I sincerely hope the 5 series is sensational.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

For my own enlightenment, what games have a problem with it? Most AAA games are getting better with support for CF/SLI as gamers start getting more and more multi-GPU solutions. They effectively shut out a growing population of gamers if they don't.

4. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Snips I'm not sure what you are trying to do by misquoting him and with a quick search it shows he never said that, so you are basically bullshitting on the BT forum and that is not cool. If you are not actually quoting someone then leave out the quote tags.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

:sigh: OK, Ash, Snips: one more bitch at each other and you're suspended for 48 hours. The other contributors to this thread: move along now, nothing to see here... --Nexxo

7. leveller

We need benchmarks. Personally I couldn't give a monkeys what the cost, heat, noise is as long the things produce very high res, beautiful graphics at fantastic FPS. My other half keeps asking me whether I'm wanting GFX cards for Xmas and I don't have a clue. Do we have any idea when the high end ATi and high end Nvidia cards are likely to get benched (more importantly in SLi and CF)?

8. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I don't have a problem at all chaps. If you look through his old posts on other topics he did say those things one way or another but hey, I can move on. Sorry ASHT, sorry guys and gals.

When can we expect benchtests on this card and what about the higher end AMD6XXX series?

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
  9. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Member

World Of Warcraft is one of the ones I am less embarassed to admit I play and found multi gpu scaling to be not great (also supported by the link you provided.

But it looks like you have good point the DX11 generation cards have a much nicer multi gpu scalability compared to the older GTX2XX series....... more food for thought here :)

10. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla New Member

How many frames per sec would I get in Doom 2?

11. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla New Member

If it's anyting below 999 I'm not buying it...

12. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

13. Snips

14. nRollo

nRollo NVIDIA Focus Group

My son just played Metro2033 on a card NVIDIA sent me recently coupled with a GTS450 for PhysX. He played at 25X16, AAA/16X, PhysX, DX11. Don't know if it was one of these new "GTX580" but it did handle the 25X16 silky smooth, the PhysX looked great.
    If this is a GTX580, seems very powerful to me. I played some Metro and AVP and was VERY impressed.

15. thelaw

thelaw New Member

16. John_T

John_T Member

Got an email from YoYoTech this morning seeking pre-orders at £399 inc vat - click on the link and the message comes up 'address invalid'.

Looks like they jumped the gun a bit, but it also looks like a realistic £400 price tag...

17. John_T

John_T Member

I meant to add that the email states:

"Over 30% faster than GTX480 tested in 3DMark Vantage"

18. John_T

John_T Member

In fact, (I should have put all this in one post) here's a valid link:

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/item-detail.php?products_id=4370723

And in case that link also gets taken down, here's a cut and paste of what it says:

nVidia GTX580 The world's fastest GPU, bar none. Blasts past the GTX480 with room to spare. Tessellation processing is up more than 20% and the combination of architectural enhancements, vapor chamber cooling and increased clock speeds make for a fantastic combination. OWN IT FIRST. nVidia GTX580 • 512 Full CUDA Cores • 1.5GB 384-bit GDDR5 • 4 Gbps Data Transfer • Dual DVI & mini HDMI Over 30% faster than GTX480 tested in 3DMark Vantage nVidia GeForce GTX580 -->· 772MHz Core Speed -->· 1.5GB GDDR5 Memory (384-bit) -->· Draws up to 244w power -->· 27cm long -->· Needs 2 slots -->· 3-Way SLi Capable -->· 2x DVI and 1x mini HDMI

19. Snips

That's not bad for a start price, especially for that spec. You must have one of these babies on the bench by now Bit-Tech, come on get the lead out!

20. leveller

Even a :D or a :( by itself in a solitary post in a randomly created posters 1st post, that 'might' or 'might not' be an undercover BT/CPC staffer would be something ;) but then again we'll all be second guessing and reversing the psychology of the post and it'll drive us mad.

Hmm!

Tags: Add Tags