1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus M5A78L-M/USB3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloodburgers, 13 Jun 2013.

1. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Does anyone have any experience wit this board looking to rebuild my system with an FX8320 and this as an interim before upgrading the mobo again.

Thanks in advance.

2. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Yep using it right now! It is pretty good but due to the lack of VRM heatsinks it will throttle on even mild overclocks. I'm running 4.2GHz a the moment and it throttles like crazy during stress tests. I would recommend the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 as it has the best VRM cooling out there in the MATX AM3+ market.

I really wish manufacturers would churn out some decent MATX AM3+ boards :sigh:.

3. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

I see you are also using the fx 6300 i was toying with that cpu any good

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

That board also throttles even at stock when loaded with a FX processor.

With the FX stuff if you want to avoid throttling you cannot cheap out on the motherboard. End of.

5. biojellywobbles

The fx 6300 is certainly a nice chip, especially now that aria have it down to only £84. I can only compare its performance to my old phenom 555 though.

6. biojellywobbles

Unfortunately that is one of the most expensive MATX AM3+ boards you can buy. There are no high end boards available for the FX chip owner with a smaller case.

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Not ever really looked into it but seems you are right. Trust me throttling is annoying as hell, especially at stock speeds!

For a MATX set up looks like intel is a better call.

8. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

matx wasnt necessary but would be nice i could go for an atx space is not a factor. I am upgrading from my q6700 so have been out of the cpu loop for a while.

as far as i can tell in my simplistic comprehension

AM3/ 3+ sockets are for top end cpu's

FM sockets are for apus.

is this about right? i would like an intel but as my pc is mainly for gaming and i would like to keep the prices low AMD seemed like the obvious choice. i am staying away from the FM socket apus as i hear they offer no benefit to people with half decent discrete graphics.