1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Matrix Radeon HD 5870 Graphics Card Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 15 Jul 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I think ASUS need to really think about their RoG range. I feel like it's ending up like designer jeans. They don't need to be any good or different, just have the name on them and they can charge more. Shame.

3. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Wow, really unimpressed yet again!

4. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Depends really, the Rampage 3 justifies its price imo. (Well almost!)

5. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

This is actually very competitive for a 2GB card (middle of the line). Unfortunately, 2GB 5870s have no advantage over 1GB, even at very high resolutions. Had Asus only put 1GB ram in this, it would be a reasonable buy, especially for extreme cooling. The overvolting has far higher limits than the stock speeds, hence why it managed 1030MHz.

RoG remember is meant to be premium, it's for those who really want all the bells and whistles. There are usually much cheaper equivalents from them without the bells and whistles, but if you want more, you can at least pay for it.

6. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

But I was the stupid fool that bought the ROG Asus Striker II Formula mobo. Which was like putting GT-R badges on a Nissan Micra!

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

goodness what is it with this gen that completely fails to set my heart on fire!

we need faster cheaper cards... not same speed more expensive or slightly faster much more expensive

8. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

"is a good looking card"

This appears to be the only benefit from designing and putting these products on the market. The standard 5870 is practically at the ceiling of what cypress can do, it's not long before when overclocking them on air u reach a stability threshold and what have you gained? A 1fps advantage on some games at realistic resolutions and AA. Pointless.

9. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

My mate put NISMO stickers on his Micra :lol:

I think you guys are right though. I have been an ASUS fan for years and although I havn't been in a position to buy any RoG gear, the general assumption was that this line of products is of the highest quality and has features that real gamers would appreciate. If there products are not doing that anymore then they really do need to go back to the drawing board.

PS ASUS when is the next Black Pearl Mobo coming out? Half the people on this forum probably bought the P5K Premium with a Q6600!!

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I have no special affinity to either ATI or Nvidea, (or any 'special' partners they may have) - I've bought them both equally over the years - but given the recent release of the 460 this does now feel massively overpriced: Double the money for just a few frames more in most games at most resolutions.

Two 460's could be put in SLI for the same price as this - I'm pretty sure I know what would win most rounds...

11. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I love my 285 Matrix, it looks fantastic and still pulls it's weight.

BUT if I hadn't have won it (<3 bit-tech/ASUS) I would not have bought it. The same reason I use for the Rampage III board - I would LOVE to have this board, but its just too damn pricey.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What I want to see is how it performs using watercooling. If you bought this card 9 times out of 10 you'd be watercooling it. Then this thing would fly...

13. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Agree, but then you lose all the micky dazzler lights that cost you £80.

14. Nature

Nature Minimodder

"Asus has also doubled the usual amount of memory of a HD 5870 from 1GB to 2GB of GDDR5."

Specifications
    Graphics processor ATI Radeon HD 5870, 894MHz
    Pipeline 1,600 stream processors (894MHz), 32 ROPs
    Memory 1GB GDDR5, 4.8GHz effective
    Bandwidth 154GB/sec, 256-bit interface
    Compatibility DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.1
    Outputs/Inputs 2 x DVI, 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x HDMI, 1 x CrossFire
    Power Connections 2 x 8-pin, end-mounted
    Size 273mm long, dual-slot
    Warranty Two years

look at the memory......

15. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

It is 2GB, there's probably a typo.

16. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

they look and perform brilliantly .. I have not had any reason to complain about them at all, paired them up to a Dell U2711.. excellent rig ..

17. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

Important to remember, this card is targetted at the chaps who are going to be overclocking like mad. You can tweak the memory timings too which comes in handy for those crazy folks!

18. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

500 bucks for this card and you could buy 2 4870X2 on ebay for a lot less... For DX11, no way... For eyefinity, no way

19. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

"We hope you like your graphics cards pimped. "
    For all of you manufacturers, having a pimped-up video-card, motherboard or any other computer component is as inane as a fart pipe and spoiler on a Honda Civic. Save the money from that ludicrous crap and spend it on advancing the technology of the item that you are trying to sell and it will sell itself.

20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

<voice=Yoda>

A missed opportunity this review is...

</voice>

For a while, i've had the theory that there is only one justifiable use for these 2GB cards: extreme resolution combined with crossfire.
    As i run a single 5870 on 3x 1920x1200, i could be persuaded to swap it for two 2GB cards like this matrix, but i'm yet to see a review that has the answers i need before i shell out for 800 euros of graphics cards...

The test i'd like to see is 5870 1GB CF vs 5870 2GB CF at eyefinity resolutions. If anybody can hook me up, i'd be grateful :)

Tags: Add Tags