1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z PWM issues (WCFT03 re-build)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MODZERO, 25 Sep 2013.

1. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Hey Guys,

I've taken my build another step forward and I've run into some motherboard issues.

[​IMG]

Since the above photo, I've bought a new RAD to replace the Magicool 160mm I've gone with the HWLABS model due to it's higher fin count and larger depth. Before those four fans we're running via a custom cables that fed them 7v direct from the PSU. with the new RAD going in I decided to replace the fans with the PWM versions, and here is my problem.

Whilst I'm able to dynamically control the RPM of both top RAD fans with 'SpeedFan' off the CPU_OPT & CPU_FAN headers I'm having NO such luck with the CHA_FAN1 header..

I've daisy chained the 80mm fans and made a custom PWM splitter cable so the one header would control all four whilst the PSU provided the power. I've not yet drained my loop and swapped out the hardware instead opting to test the new fans beside the rig using my cable on the motherboard. SpeedFan can see signal and shows me the correct the RPM but I've no control.

Thinking I'd made a mistake I bought GELID PWM 1 to 4 splitter and before I stripped and re-braided it have tested it with all four fans (and a single fan) connected. STILL NO CONTROL!

Help me out here guys, I'm running the latest BIOS (will check) and see no reason why this isnt working.. I refuse to use FAN Xpert due to it's limited speed steps (I'm happy to try it to see if it'll control that header mind).

Any ideas?

J.

2. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I never resolved this...

J.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Asus IV Gene-Z mobo has five PWM fan connectors, but treats them as two clusters: the two CPU headers and the three CHASSIS headers. You cannot adjust each fan header separately; they are controlled by cluster.

It sounds like PWM is activated on the CPU cluster but not on the CHASSIS cluster. Check whether it is enabled in BIOS. The mobo also comes with its own software in which you can regulate the PWM for each cluster; try that and see if it works on that.

BTW I'm really liking your build.

4. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Thanks for your reply fella, I've tried everything at this point. I'd read about the two clusters which isn't a problem being that the one cluster that is working looks after the top rad. And had hoped to utilise the second cluster for the bottom rad.

Before rebuilding I tried a single PWM fan on the chassis cluster with no joy. I'd tried the fan control in the bios, the Asus software through windows and SmartFan (which I use now for CPU cluster).

I'd given up and run the bottom four at full RPM. I'm able to set limits and whilst SmartFan states a level (%) the RPM reading remains full speed.

I've tried a couple BIOS version with no change and pretty much every piece of software that states control of PWM headers.

More photos of the FT03 build over on the post your Ft03 thread :p. It's changed again since the photo above. :)

J.

5. Nexxo

Hmmm... some research reveals the following about the Asus Z87 Deluxe:

Check the User's manual for your mobo and see if the CHA_FAN fourth pins are also labelled as "+5V".

Further digging reveals that other users have had similar problems with the Asus Gene-Z board. It may just be a malfunction.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  6. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Sir, I salute you... That could well be the answer. Thanks for looking in to it.. The frustration is I replaced 4 perfectly wonderful 3-pin 80mm fans for their PWM siblings.. I must either swap them out again for the old ones or cut the PWM signal cable on the ones I've got.. Hmmmm..

Thanks again chap.

J.

7. Nexxo

No problem..hope you get it sorted. My impression is that the CHA_FAN headers should do PWM but that some boards are malfunctioning. Annoying!