1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 18 Jul 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

At freggin last. It will be mine, oh yes it will be mine

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

What is it with Bit Tech's obsession, yes obsession, with Micro ATX motherboards..?

More than ANY other tech review site i visit, Bit Tech seems to have a constant stiffy for them....

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

M-ATX cases and M-ATX boards are quite useful for LANs.

Plus mod potential.

5. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

This board installed inside a Fractal Design Arc Mini and I'll be happy. Now I just need to find £375.

Hmmm....

6. tigertop1

tigertop1 What's a Dremel?

Pity it is an mATX. And can someone explain why new mobos are not fitted out totally with USB3 and Sata6.?

Since these are backwards compatible it seems odd that manufacturers don't just move on. Or is there a significant price penalty or a major technical reason why they don't

7. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

Good point

8. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

This is gettin papd into a corsair 600T White i think.

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

USB3 isn't native to the Z68 chipset; it's added in by an additional controller chip at additional cost. Similarly, the Z68 chipset only supports two SATA (3) 6Gbps ports; the bandwidth isn't there for more. Rather than sell it as six SATA 6Gbps ports and have gimped bandwidth, Intel chose to have two full bandwidth SATA 6Gbps and four SATA (2) 3Gbps ports.

Adding additional SATA 6Gbps ports is only possible via extra chips, for example, JMicron SATA 6Gbps controller, which take up a PCI-E lane, and again cost more.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The trouble is that Asus' own p8p67m pro does the business already. It mightn't look as subjectively pretty but it has better overclocked performance.

11. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

I hope you have copyrighted that. You could make a fortune in licensing that out. ^^

12. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Hmm, was thinking about using this board to upgrade to SB. Anyone know if a Titan Fenrir fits this board?

Also bit-tech, did you test the audio at all? Would it be better or as good as an Auzentech xfi Prelude (I need 7.1 support)? I don't see a PCI slot on the Gene-Z...

13. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

Audio is still a Realtek with a software layer so a dedicated card will still beat it hands down.
    I'd I would assume a Fenrir would fit on there as I had no problem getting Noctua C14 on mine.

14. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I'm concerned about getting a mATX board...
    Will I have issued getting my 6950 on there?
    Its on its way in the mail. May just send it back and pick up a p8p67m pro
    The p8p67m pro also had better overclocking performance in games.

15. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Cheers, looks like I need a board with a full PCI slot then... Would go with the other cheaper Asus boards but I've heard they don't like the Fenrir.

16. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

The fenrir will fit physically but you'll need to cut the AMD mounting lugs off the crossbar mounting plate to do it, as is the case with most of Asus' P67/Z68 boards.

17. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Nice review, thanks. I'm definitely with you guys on the small but mighty mATX machines.

One of the important factors for me when choosing a new motherboard though is SATA performance. This board appears to perform really well, along with the Asus Sabertooth P67. But what's interesting is that the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 which uses the same Intel Z68 SATA 6Gbps chipset as the Maximus IV Gene-Z doesn't perform anywhere near as well.

I was considering getting the Asus P8P67-M Pro which uses the same chipset as the Sabertooth but given the discrepancy between boards with the same chipsets, I can't be sure that that is the only factor that affects performance. Can anyone explain why the Gigabyte board doesn't stack up to the Maximus IV Gene-Z in SATA speed?

18. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

We've talked about this in the office numerous times and have come to the conclusion that Asus boards just seem to be better than most when it comes to SATA speeds.

It could be down to a number of things like better EFI support, better trace routeing or simply that they know something the others don't.

19. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Cheers Paul, might have to do some modding then. :dremel:

20. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

m-ATX......Meh.....

Barely any room for a sound card. and if you do no chance for SLI/Crossfire.

Such a shame, Is the ROG ATX board version as good??? Does it even exist???

I would think anyone who was picking up a SB system would have one by now so the current range of products wont change much.

Tags: Add Tags