1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Maximus VIII Impact Preview - Has the King Returned?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 20 Oct 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Staff Administrator

I did not write those words ;)

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Agree it should have gone on the back, rather than been a 'well these people will buy U.2 instead'. But previously Impacts have had them on daughterboards.

Yep. That control board on the rear IO has gotta go/shrink.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Staff

I still can't comprehend why they would switch to U.2 rather than M.2? I mean there are M.2 to U.2 adapters out there so if you have a U.2 drive you can still use it, so what's the point in making U.2 the primary socket?

In an ITX build an M.2 port is damn useful. It removes a drive placement and two cables whilst being fast, a U.2 drive does neither of the first two, all it does is offer speed. The Z170 Stinger from EVGA also lacks an M.2 port, why are manufacturers cutting them out from arguably the only desktop form factor that benefits from them?

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The EVGA board is a shocker - what's the point of a Key M port when there's no proper M.2 port? Bonkers decision. There are a few poor design choices being made for these early Z170 ITX boards.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Its got to the point where I no longer have any idea, none whatsoever as to which SSD I should go for or even if the damn thing will work on my Motherboard as intended..will it work at a reduced speed, will it cut back performance of my SLI setup, etc,etc,etc.

This whole SSD situation is a joke...I'd actually be buying one thinking I'll probably have to send it back for some reason or another.

6. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Staff Administrator

Hi guys, Antony's full review is now up for the Maximus VIII Impact:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2015/10/23/asus-maximus-viii-impact-review/1

We've kept this up as the discussion thread or continuity.

Seen a few posts recently about confusion regarding the current state of affairs RE the SSD market. This is understandable, and I hear your cries: I'm planning an article that aims at addressing and explaining the latest terms, connectors, standards and so on.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Can I point out that the VI Impact was more than £200 when it launched? I paid £191.84 on 21/09/13, and that was after sitting there waiting for it to budge off the £220-230 mark.

EDIT: VI Impact not VII. Typo!

Last edited: 23 Oct 2015
  8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

You must mean the VI (Z87) Impact? We only reviewed the VII (Z97) in November 2014 :) We reviewed the Z87 model in the November of 2013, but yes it was pricey when launched but it dipped fairly quickly to £170 - even by the time we reviewed it in fact.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Sorry, typo'd that one, yes, I mean the VI Impact. Point still stands though - it cost over £200 when it was brand new, and even when you guys reviewed it (2 months after I'd picked it up after waiting for a drop) it wasn't much cheaper than this VIII. So I don't think the VIII is expensive for a Skylake board, the Impacts have always been pricey!

10. Sn3akr

Sn3akr What's a Dremel?

I was planning a SFF build mATX or ITX and was actually looking forward to this board as an option, but with the absence of M2, there's no way i can use this, especially since it only leaves me with the option for Intels overpriced 750s (600$+ where i live for 400GB is just too insane) Bye bye to Asus maximus it seems!

Tags: Add Tags