1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ASUS P8P67 Pro BIOS issues?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greypilgers, 18 Jul 2011.

1. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

I have an early ASUS P8P67 Pro that WASN'T returned to get the SATA 3Gbps thing sorted (I didnt care as I dont use those ports).

Since new though the unit has an odd habit: Every time I unplug the unit from the mains, and then plug it in, turning it on it refuses to POST and the red memory led stays lit. I turn the PC off, turn it striahgt back on again, and it booted fine but when POSTing would say 'overclock failed' (I overclocked it to 4.5ghz using Bit-Tech's isntructions) and I needed to enter the overclock settings all over again.

I updated the BIOS to the latest version (non-beta) in March but this made no difference. I then updated it to the latest non-beta version (1704 I believe?) at the weekend and now the unit performs this strange quirk of behaviour every time i turn it on, whether the mains has been disconnected or not.

Has anyone else come across this, or does anyone have any ideas? It's really more of an annoyance than anything else but I would like to have a resolution of some kind, if anyone can help!

Cheers. Spec is included below:

Intel i5 2500K - overclocked to 4.5Ghz
    ASUS P8P67 Pro - BIOS flashed to 1704
    2x 2Gb DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair XMS3 memory (Slots 2 and 4)
    Thermaltake Frio
    Gigabyte GeForce 560Ti
    ASUS Xonar DX PCIe
    Rocket SATA6Gbps Expansion card
    3 Hard Drives
    7x 120mm Air Penetrators/Gentle Typhoons
    Windows 7 64bit

:thumb:

EDIT: My apologies - this might be better placed in teh Tech Support section. I've posted there instead so can a helpful Mod please close or delete this post?

Many thanks!

2. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

I have that board, and had the same issue, I found that there is a small switch button next to the Memory LED, if you hold that down, it runs a memory compatibility scan and tunes the RAM to work correctly. I think the process is called MemOK! or something. After I did this (look in the manual and it goes through the procedure) it all sorted itself for me.

Worth a try :)

3. greypilgers

Thanks, friend. I shall give that a try when I get back in tonight. Hope it works! It's a good thing Sandybridge is so fast, 'cos it's not been the most smooth of launches, eh???

:thumb:

4. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Let us know if that works because I was planning on getting this board and overclocking it. :thumb:

5. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Actually I have another question while you're here, greypilgers. Why did you chose to plugin a Rocket SATA6Gbps Expansion card given there are SATA 6Gbps sockets on the board itself? Was it just that 2 was not enough or because they were somehow lacking in speed?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup MemOK! runs a set of algorithms to work out the best memory compatibility.

Also, instead of losing your settings every time - save them to a BIOS profile then you can just enable it again with one click :thumb:

What PSU do you have?

7. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Interesting. I do not have this problem and I am also on the original revision of the board still. Do you guys think some memory is just more compatible than others on default settings? I'm still glad I went with this board if for no other reason, then because every other person on these forums seems to have one as well and any problem you have, several people can help. I will keep this advice in mind in the future but so far I haven't had any problems.

8. greypilgers

Hello there everyone!

Thanks very much for your replies.

I bought the Rocket card because two 6gbps wouldnt be enough for me. I already have three hard drives and whilst my DVD drive is so little used I can use a USB connected one, I will in the near future be upgrading to another hard drive and an SSD (A NAS is on the horizon but not for a while yet). I dont want to risk the dodgy sata ports on this board at all (although isnt there a couple of 3gbps ports that arent connected to the intel SB but use a marvel or jmicron controller on this board? Those wouldnt be subject to the sandybridge scandal, would they?).

Very much so, Bindibadgi! I am shamed to admit it took me 2 months before I realised I could save OCing profiles! LoL... I am using a Corsair 650w (i believe - it's definitely at least 600w) PSU.

My memory was the slightly cheaper xms3 designed to run at 1.65 volts. Perhaps shellig out for a decent set of 1.5v ddr3 would be better? Might as well make it 8gb while I'm at it? The onyl trouble I have is that the Frio blocks the first dimm slot completely and most memory these days tends to have quite large heatsinks, and until BitTech/CPC get around to doing a proper guide on watercooling (hint hint hint) I'm not ready to take the plunge into watercooling everything yet...

I wasnt able to test the MemOK button last night (worked late - fell asleep almost in the hallway after getting home) but WILL do it tonight...

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

10. robyilkx

robyilkx What's a Dremel?

hello everybody.

I had the same issue with my P8P67 EVO until a while ago.
    It got fixed when I started messing around to get other 4GB (2x2GB) running in the MOBO. I guess it was the Mem OK switch but I can't really prove it.

On the other side, the additional memory is creating me serious issues but that's OT and I've opened a dedicated thread.