1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Rampage IV Extreme Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 9 Dec 2011.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Because as it says on the box, it's extreme. And as pointed out in the review the Sabre tooth will do everything just as well, but some people want just a bit more and that is why things like this exist.

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Why did you only use 1 game to compare gaming performance? and why is that game 2.5 years old? I would of thought you would use a game like Battle field 3 or even Crysis 2.

3. DesertFox

DesertFox What's a Dremel?

Would like to see some multiple GPU benchmarks with x79.

4. faceplant

faceplant What's a Dremel?

So, the conclusion should read;

Rampage IV: £324.95
    Saber tooth : £249.35
    Asrock Extreme 4-M : £170.15
    Intel DX79SI : £239.75
    MSI GD65 : £234.95

Now, I've had Asus since..well I can't remember, a long long time, since I got rid of my 386. But £324 for a board which actually got beat by a so called industry 2nd rate manufacturer and a reference board....thats pretty lame. I think for the Intel 2011 series I'll be giving the rampage boards a miss.

I've just noticed at a well known northern retailer that the MSI GD65 is already on clearance, what do they know we don't ???

5. faceplant

faceplant What's a Dremel?

re. my comment above about the clearance product, i've discovered why...it comes with a wind tunnel in the box.

6. Kilmoor

Kilmoor lurker

Wow- hey editor, you do realize that you published this entire writeup without ever stating which socket and which chipset this board features? Shouldn't that be in the first two paragraphs?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm afraid you misunderstand.

ROG has evolved in its 5 years for gamers and overclockers. It used to be gamers and OCers used the same hardware, but not for a few years. The Extreme is aimed at being all and everything for benchmarkers/OCers/full Mem/full PCIe/full spec, while the Formula and Gene series are aimed at very high-end gamers and high-end LAN gamers respectively. That's why you get different sound on the Formula/Gene to the Extreme for example.

8. trig

trig god's little mistake

exactly...a niche board...

someone needs to explain this to these writers at bit...there is a market and a place for these boards...asus wouldn't make them if they didn't make a profit...at the same time, and maybe bindi could give us specific numbers...this board probably doesn't make up 5% of their x79 board sales...so why on god's green earth does bit seem to think this and the sabertooth are such great values for the average user...

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Only skimmed through the film, was trying to watch a film at the same time.

But, how how many power connectors does it need? 1 8pin EPS + a 4pin. And then there's what appears to be a PCI-E power connector just above the top PCI-E slot.

Any reason? Didn't see it picked up in the review?

10. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I consider myself a real gamer and I purchased one. What exactly is a "real gamer" by your definition?

To me it seems like ROG has got better and better, adding more advanced features for the more extreme of us.

Just because you do not utilise the additional features does not mean that others don't, I would be unable to use my 4 gtx 580s on the x79 platform if it wasn't for the R4E

Sent from my HTC Senseation Z710e using Tapatalk

11. trig

trig god's little mistake

lol...well...you are definitely the target market...4 580's...christ...

12. abeeftec

abeeftec What's a Dremel?

Higher Base clocks offer higher graphic performance then straight Multiplier overclocks.

Said a different way,
    You will acheive a higher FPS score in benchmarks with in overclock of 4.2Ghz Using (120 BLCK x 35)
    Versus using (100Bclk x 42)

Another way 120x35 > 100x42

By the way, If anyone did not get that, Both settings produce 4.2Ghz on the CPU but the 120Bclk utilizes more Graphics then the 100Bclk

Cant get any more explanative then that! I failed if that is not understood!:D

13. socolate

socolate What's a Dremel?

better than me, nothing, waiting for down price :clap:

14. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the explanation. I've been quite intrigued over these water-chillers, but I've hesitated due to the fact that you still cannot run a high OC all the time. Just quick tests made just long enough for validation.
    Since this article posted, I found that PerformancePC's has started selling the "Hailea" brand of water-chillers. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_373&zenid=c803f14f7de99f747b01888c8cbb51ee
    I'm still thinking about getting one of these since I have no access to LN, LHe or DICE. Funny thing about DICE is that I live right next to a commercial fishing port and there's none available.

Tags: Add Tags