1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS RoG - Your feedback...

Discussion in 'ASUS' started by -VK-, 6 Nov 2009.

1. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

Hey guys,

I'd like to gather your feedback on a few things, in particular RoG Connect and the TweakIT features of our Republic of Gamers motherboards.

If you've used them , would you mind letting me know:

Are they useful?
    Are they easy to use?
    Have you used them to overclock your system?

And an open question to everyone....

What would you like to see on future RoG motherboards?

Cheers,

-VK-

Teelzebub likes this.
  2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i would like to see a BIOS based proper fan-controller. such as able to set low speed, highest speed, low temperature, high temperature. look at the options under Abit uGuru BIOS

also would like to be able to save TurboV's setting into BIOS. currently, i only use TurboV to do minor voltage tweaks, it saves a restart allows easy voltage tweaks. but once finished tweaking, still have to go into the BIOS to set it manually for a more consistent non-OS dependant overclock.

basically, i dislike anything OS dependant. i understand majority uses Windows, but have a Linux overclocking tool won't hurt. also have FreeBSD drivers would also be a HUGE plus (especially for hackint0sh community)

3. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I don't even have a republic of gamers motherboard :(

4. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

I thing the one major thing my rampage 2 formular is pissing is ROG connect, the controls on the mobo are useless when in case.

5. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

yea i agree, my missus has a EVGA p55 Cheesecake and it comes with those controls on a little daughter board. Much more usefull.

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. 51lver

51lver Forever Hungry

A ROG mATX for the AMD system?

Would be nice!

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I really like my Rampage II board but those tweakit controls are ok outside the case but useless once its in a case, Just a bit of gimmicky.

Apophis54 likes this.
  8. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I haven't got one yet, but I am very tempted by the Asus Rampage III Extreme, as it looks like sex on a circuit board and has all the features I got to play with at the summit.

Hopefully I can still get some money for my current board to help pay for that when I can my grubby little mitts on it!

9. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

It does look like an awesome board and I'd love to have the time to put one through it's paces.

There's one sitting in CPC / Bit labs at the moment!

10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

pass it my way when you done :D

Andy

11. Edison

Edison Recovering AMD Fanboy

I have a RE-1 and it's one of the best boards I have ever used. It's a little finicky at times-occasionally it will hang on boot and i have to unplug the power for a few minutes but it's not a big issue.

I'm planning on getting a RE-3 as soon as one becomes available.

12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

How about a ROG board with some REAL power, like an ROG version of my KFN32-D SLi? Black PCB, overclocking controls, and in this case instead of the aging NF Pro 3600/3050, get a nice AMD SR690 chipset instead (for CrossFire madness!)

MSI made a board like that (and does outside the US) that caters to the AMD side of tings, but it's very hard to source and keep happy (I have one in a box at the moment.)

13. Zaim

Zaim Minimodder

I did have a Crosshair 2 ROG Board, it had alot of options/features and really liked it, but it was faulty and i had to get it replaced. i now have a M4N82 Deluxe, doesn't have a lot of options in the BIOS like the Crosshair 2. the other great thing about it is the power/reset and Clear CMos buttons.

14. bagman

bagman Minimodder

owned 3 ROG boards my self and I have liked all of them just because of the good BIOS's and useful benchmarks and good games they provide. Also really like the designs.

-On board power switch good
    -on Board PCI lane on/off switch good
    -cmos button on I/O shield plate good
    -a I/O shield plate that glows good
    -a ROG logo illuminated good, would be nice if you could control it a bit more
    -ROG connect never used
    -sound card you give the ROG I find no difference to normal onboard sound (I use my own xonar dx anyway)
    -the ROG station great concept but maybe less features to lower the cost, maybe a LCD poster like you had before but has buttons on it so you can check cpu temp, have it so it can go in a optical by if you want give it a mini arming switch for the clear cmos button and power button e.t.c
    -make it easier to update your bios, (this may not be a problem any more) and get rid of the risk of bricking your board and make sure you still cover warranty if you do update the board
    -layout good
    -number of fan connectors good
    -would be nice to be able to set fan speeds in the bios

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

As good as the reviews are, I still won't be going near one as I don't think they represent value for money.

I know you're trying to sell a high end product, but motherboard pushing £350 is just a tad silly. About 5 years ago DFI were in your position, selling high end overclocking boards, but the most expensive they got to was £160, and a top of the range A8N-SLi Deluxe was under £100. I know there has been inflation and there are the R&D costs, but someone must be making a pretty penny along the way.

In terms of the boards, I'd like to see LED profiles - So depending on your mod/taste you can have them on or off, and change the colour, even if there were only a few choices, like red, blue, green, white, yellow and purple.

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I have one myself and tbh I think they are good value for the money one of the best boards I've had.

Apophis54 likes this.
  17. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I've only just bought mine, so can't give you feed back on the areas you've asked, but wanted to say they're great looking boards. I wouldn't have bought it for that reason alone though.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2011
    Ljs, adidan and Teelzebub like this.
  18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not just inflation, but quality of components and component prices have increased. Raw material costs have jumped significantly in the last six months alone. Copper cost has increased dramatically in the last 5 years - which means all those 2oz PCBs ASUS and Gbt use (MSI don't still last time checked) have to accept the cost. The quality of motherboard has had to go up as CPUs get more complicated and bus speeds have increased dramatically. DFI made their name through insanely detailed BIOS' and clever PCB colouring, not really peripherals and extras: the latest Black Edn has an extra audio/network PCI-E card in the box. Sure, if you don't need that stick with the cheaper R3E, which still includes costly extras like BIOS flashback, LN2 modes, tweak switches etcetc

On the less discussionary side: We've got a new ROG board and graphics card due soon :):)

Carrie likes this.
  19. Iskra

Iskra What's a Dremel?

Is it the Rog Gene for 1155?

Wait, don't answer. I'll keep my hopes up...
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I have to say, while I own a Crosshair 4 and make extensive use of the BIOS overclocking, I have never once used RoG Connect. Which is a shame as when i was looking at boards, that was actually one of the deal makers for myself. I saw myself as like one of the pit crew that fiddle with an F1 card on a laptop before a race, but then I got real; tweaking in the BIOS is just much more reliable.

The features like MemOK are a god send, and I have actually used the Power, Reset and unlock buttons on the board. But then i do like to fiddle under the hood as it were.

Also, the Red/Black colour scheme is amazing; don't go changing that please.