1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus Sabertooth P67: PWM on CHA_FAN1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wing Zero, 21 Jul 2012.

1. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

Plugged in some PWM 4pin fans onto the 4pin CHA_FAN1 header on this motherboard. However it does not seem to regulate the speed of the fans no matter what the settings are in BIOS. can anyone else who has this board try out a 4pin PWM fan on this header (it's the 4pin header next to the CPU fan header) and see if PWM speed control works for you.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Not totally sure about that mobo, but I know on some asus boards you need to have quiet fan enable or Q fan as it's some times called

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Does the same fan work on CPU_FAN? (checking wire/PWM function works OK)

4. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

CPU fan PWM works just fine.

managed to borrow a multimeter, turns out the pin for PWM seems to be stuck at 5v and does not change at all. checking the CPU header, that pin varies between 1v-5v, the lower the value, the slower the fan goes.

I was hoping to have independent control of my case fans seperate from my PWM pump, but with this, i guess i'll have to settle to slaving everything from the CPU socket

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Actually, I think the others are 3-pin control only on P67. Only Z77 they upgraded them all to PWM (iirc). :( I know this was true on channel boards but I didn't know this included Saber.

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

This is true and this is the only disappointing thing about this board.

7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

What about the aasist fan that you can fit to the armour. Doesnt that have a controlable header on thr p67? Cpu assist maybe?

8. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

for some reason, 3pin fan doesn't work on CHA_fan1 or CHA_fan2 anymore. assist fan works fine, but i loathe to try and split off from there.

9. allanparker

allanparker What's a Dremel?

Asus Q-fan can be used to adjust the speed of a PVM fan, assuming you have it connected to a PVM fan header on the motherboard or a fan controller. For an 800 RPM fan, obviously 800 RPM will be the max speed, but can run slower.

If you don't hook them up to a PVM fan header or fan controller, or don't use Q-Fan, they will spin at 800 RPM.