1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus SB recall

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mike_dowler, 5 Apr 2011.

1. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Had an email from ASUS this morning, asking for my details so they can arrange to pick up my P8P67 Pro and then send me a new one. The email specifically states that they will not send out a new board until they have received the old one.

I've told them this isn't acceptable - I don't see why I should have to be without a motherboard for ~10 days while they process my old one and get a new board delivered. After all, it's not like they need to diagnose or confirm the fault - Intel has done that for them already.

What do you think? Am I being unreasonable?

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

That is unreasonable, especially if you use the PC for work (as I do). The Gigabyte recall was better. I was contacted and told that the courier would pick up my old UD7 and give me the B3 stepping UD7 at the same time, which is exactly what happened - no drama or fuss.
    Why Asus isn't doing the same is beyond me!

3. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Everyone got the email this morning, seems it was a mass mail, i got it too....call it all you want Asus stated a month or two ago this is how they were doing it even when other mobo companies were offering to send replacements first - if that is there policy there is nothing i guess we can do to get them to change it even if 'other mobo companies' are offering a swap/exchange at the door its not like we can threaten to go elsewhere in this case we are stuck.

Your right in they dont need to dianose the fault but its there way of making sure you send your old board back hoping they forget about it in the mass recall and sell it on later, plus i would imagine them replacing the chipset and sending the old ones out as new or sell them to other companies/buyers who will use them for system builds.

Some companies will want credit card details and take a holding deposit otherwise in lieu of customers returning the item for a exchange first i would rather just wait for a new one for 10 days than give out my credit card details to a stranger i guess.

Thing is its either follow there policy or not get a exchange, i doubt with thousands in the UK in the same boat they are unlikely to change they way they are going to do it.

Being bent over a barrel comes to mind but alas we are tied and being shafted to there procedure.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2011
  4. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

Actually, I thought of another way: Scan will take the original board back for a refund. So, I buy a new board (on the credit card) and, when that arrives, send the old one back. I lose out on the difference in price between what I paid originally, and what they cost now, but in my case that isn't much. I'm waiting to see if they appear on Today Only, otherwise ebuyer have a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

I wonder if they'll resell the original boards at a massive discount, I'd take one at 75% off!

6. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

I tried this a couple of weeks ago. Ordered the UD7 from Scan, RMA'd the old board - only to be told they don't actually have any in stock!
    With hindsight I am glad, as Gigabyte contacted me that same day regarding the swap out. Two days later, I had the new B3 UD7 delivered, and they took the old one back at the same time. (Wasn't expecting Gigabyte UK to be so on the ball!)

7. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Great scan will do that, overclockers where i got my board from as scan were out of stock however are not it seems entertaining the idea at all...