1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus shows off dual Nvidia Fermi card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Jul 2010.

1. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Perfect for the BBQ summer. I wanted a grill.

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

ASUS Just needs to cut it's losses already.

They should release a 4 Femri Core card with 3192MB ram, consisting of 3 logic boards:

Top board: Power. Two Femri cores, half the ram, and a GF100 chip
    Middle board: The other two cores and half of the ram.
    Bottom board: Power rectification - in the footsteps of the V5-6000, this needs an external, surge protected connector for power. I'm not sure if they would put the entire 500W power supply on this board (shouldn't be a huge issue, as we do have 1U 500W units), or just a DC-DC unit. In any case.

Of course, I'd say the very top slot should have 3-4 HDMI or Displayport - since we want flexibility here.

The only big issue is that I don't see much of a market for $3,500 6-slot {gaming} cards.

3. PandaMonster

PandaMonster What's a Dremel?

As if one Fermi wasn't inefficient enough (super hot, super power hungry), now you have TWO extremely hot and super power hungry Fermi's in one package.

If this thing isn't water-cooled, it's going to heat up your room in this hot summer faster than the heater can say "who stole my job."

Talk about excessive heat, excessive wattage, and excessive noise from the 100,000rpm fans.

Right on Asus!

4. PandaMonster

PandaMonster What's a Dremel?

In fact, the 5970 would be a much better buy as it would run much cooler, and take half the wattage, at literally HALF the price tag.

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I completely agree this would have to be water cooled or else like someone else said the cooler alone would take up the remaining slots lol. Probably have an AC unit for it =p yay more power draw lol.

6. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't put one 480 in my chasis let alone two......they really should have done this this the gf104 chip from the gtx460....perhaps with the full chip enabled rather than only 7/8th's.....This card will be a power sucking heat generating over expensive monster

7. Tulatin

That said, you people raging about this product do realize, that just like ASUS' 4 GPU mars cards, it's a limited run collectors-****ery sort of item, right?

8. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

could be great

9. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Would you have the kindness to explaing jsheff joke to me.. i dont undestand it :|

10. McSteel

McSteel Shape Memory Alloy

I'd arrange the polymer capacitors into a swastika and call this card the ASUS HITLER - Highly Inefficient Thermally Labile Example of Redundancy.

Yes, it is THAT superfluous. Except maybe for 3DMark junkies...

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The shroud is probably made of Vantec Tornados.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

nope probably 220CFM Deltas =p

13. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Every bit-tech graphics review comes with a picture of the card with no cooler. With the gtx480, in the process of removing the cooler they managed to strip one of the screws. Time was late, everyone wanted to get home, so out came the trusty dremel to cut the screw off so the critical shot could be taken. *Slip*. Oops. Before the graphics card has even been launched to the general public, before the first review numbers have been made available, bit-tech have destroyed their sample of what was at that time the most exclusive graphics card in the world by drilling a neat hole in the PCB.

All that's left of it in the labs is the cooler - EVGA took back the board so that they could salvage what they could from it and make it into a new product.

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Needed for this card...

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Jul 2010
  15. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

"2" is higher than "1", alas two will always be better.

That is what I suppose the logic behind this card is...

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

At least the card will be single PCB. Imagine the even greater cooling problem if it followed in the footsteps of the GX2 and the first 295s.

17. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Your forgetting that the Mars/ROG cards are for people who don't care about money.

This should be a good time to market too, unlike the original Mars card that came out just before the 5*** series.

18. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

This might be the turning point for the GTX480. It needed a good working over and ASUS appear to have thought this one out quite well. Stick a water cooler on this puppy and it will shut up all the heat and noise issues instantly while wiping the floor with anything ATi has to offer. Power draw? yes thats the important question but lets not forget if you can afford one of these cards then something little like an electricity bill shouldn't be a problem.

19. Tulatin

It's not going to be. Each card is about $1,500. Even in high density situations, they're impractical. Especially considering that 7 full slots of these has a maximum theoretical draw is over 3.5kW. Cooling that would be an atrocity; not to mention powering it... while it's an interesting concept for a render farm, but just prohibitive.

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You know the thing about people today, they keep bashing the GTX480, it's honestly not that bad of a card, it outperforms the HD5870 like it should, admittedly it's hungry, and a bit noisy, but still it's not as bad as people say it is.

AS for this dual chip, it harkens back to Voodoo's cards.

Tags: Add Tags