1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Asus U3S6 Opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roosauce, 7 Oct 2010.

1. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Asus U3S6 USB 3.0 SATA 6Gbs PCI-E card. It is the one that translates 4x PCI-e to 2x USB3 and 2x SATA 6G.

I've searched around online, but can't seem to find any decent reviews with benchmarks of modern SSDs like the C300.

I am running an older X58 motherboard with USB2 and SATA 3G. I am considering a C300 purchase and need SATA 6G throughput to give it some breathing room. We normally look at the highpoint rockets, but the additional USB3 ports on this ASUS card make it a little more versatile. That being said, it's pointless if the controller can't keep up.

Thanks for any insights on this one.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2010
  2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I think I can be of help here. Like you, I wanted a C300 but a Highpoint Rocket seemed expensive for what it was. I searched for reviews of the Asus but couldn't find any, so I just took a chance. I installed the card and SSD and tested it with several SSD benchmarking tools, all confirmed a sequential read speed of approx 350MB/s.

roosauce likes this.
  3. roosauce

Perfect - that's exactly the response I needed and fast as lighting.

Thanks Ph4ZeD - +1 rep (not that you need it ;))

4. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

If the USB3 speeds are of interest...

I've used the USB3 cables to shunt around 1TB of data around to my backup Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB in a Sharkoon QuickPort Duo (USB3.0 version) from a 7200.10 1TB Seagate drive over Sata 2 (massive mixture of files sizes from captured video to my audio production wavs) - I've recorded a peak of 110 MB/s with a typical average of around 85/90 MB/s. Not exceptionally faster than USB2 but certainly around twice as fast & I've recorded the same speeds moving files from one disk to another with both slotted into the docking station and connected over USB3.

I'd guess though that those speeds would take a hit with an SSD connected in addition though - AFAIK it's a PCI-E 1.1 device so even though it's got an x4 connector the bandwidth isn't high enough if you're going to use all 4 ports at the same time.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Like me, I'm quite sure that roosauce bought it mainly for the 355MB/s goodness.

6. roosauce

Yep - I'm mainly buying for the SATA 6G, but it's good to know that the USB3 works alright as well. Thanks welshbrummie.

Cheers guys.

7. roosauce

I posted this at the bottom of another thread, but thought that I would also complete this one with my results.

The ASUS card and C300 arrived last night and I've just spent a bunch of time trying to get it working.

My system with the GA-EX58-UD5 simply wouldn't boot with an SSD connected to the U3S6. A bit similar to these chaps I found.

After much banging of head :wallbash: I flashed my BIOS to F12 and it worked pretty much straight away from that point. The process did also have the effect of pushing everything to default settings, which may have helped.

It looks to work a treat. Below are the ATTO benchmarks for my Kingston V+ RAID0 (across Intel SATA II) and the C300. The Kingstons actually look a lot better, although I think that some other benchmarks (IOMeter?) might show a different story. I'll give it all a good thrashing over the next few days.

[​IMG]

The ASUS card is sitting right above my GPU, so I hope it doesn't overheat ...

Now to use Steam Mover to shift a bunch of games over to the C300. w00t!

8. roosauce

I've had a chance to do an extra benchmark on the C300 128GB attached to the Asus U3S6 card. Thought I would share.

Below is the same ATTO output as in the above post, plus the new AS SSD benchmark. C300 results on the right, and the Kingston 64GB V+ Raid0 is included again for comparison. In short, the U3S6 seems to work very well - the drive seems to be hitting its rated speeds pretty well via the SATA 6G port.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Oct 2010