Memory Asus X58 ram options

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sonicgroove, 2 Feb 2018.

1. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

This is probably a silly question but bear with me. I have an Asus P6X58D-E that is currently running a i7 950. Can I put the Xeon E5620 in and run ECC Reg Ram? It's a damn sight cheaper than Non ECC. The memory controller on the Xeon supports MUCH more ram too, so I could, theoretically install 96GB ram. Anyone ever tried it?

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude Flying Dutchman

Depends if the board will support it. Most will only support 24GB max.

3. sonicgroove

But isn't it down to the memory controller on the cpu? The 950 only supports 24gb

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Specs say non-ECC, unbuffered memory and specs + QVL suggest max of 24GB. I ran mine with 24GB without a problem.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  5. TheMadDutchDude

Not entirely. The board plays into it too.

6. sonicgroove

Since asking the question, I have read (unconfirmed, obviously) reports about it not only supporting ECC (with the benefits of ECC disabled) but also supporting 48gb NON ECC too! I have a feeling I am just going to have to experiment. I have access to LOTS of server ram, so it shouldn't be too hard to try out a few combinations, but I only have the non ECC that I have in my i7 2600K rig (16gb Mushkin silverline) and a couple of random sticks lying about. I was going to sell the board ad put the proceeds towards a Ryzen system, but it seems upgrading at the moment would be a very silly move.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Have you read about the X58 chipset itself? That will be what decides what you can run and how much.

Yes the Xeon does a lot more than say, a 980X but those functions and wire traces need to physically be there on the board and chipset and the BIOS for it to work.

I spent many, many hours studying the LGA and read what every single one of the 1366 pins did and what they were for. It's also how I figured out why my board was dead, because it had one snapped pin and that pin just so happened to be VDDC, or a voltage pin.

But remember, it's very very easy for say Asus to block ECC support in the BIOS.

Another example. Foxonn made two X58 boards. Flamingblade and Bloodrage. One only worked with CFX even though it was X58, the other supported both CFX and SLi. You could flash the better board's BIOS onto the cheap one....

8. TheMadDutchDude

Was it near the top of the socket, Andy?? A good friend of mine had a VDDC pin snap up there towards the socket centre of his X58A-OC. :(

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nope. It was in the bank on the left just left centre of the "gap" in the middle. The board would boot and post, then die. Then you had to remove the CMOS battery before it would post again, then it would just die again.

I found the pics lol. This is s 1366.

[​IMG]

And I had the schematics and list of what every single pin did. I remember plotting something out, can't remember exactly what. It was to to see what physical differences there were between the Xeon and the 980x. 980x.

[​IMG]

Xeon.

[​IMG]

OK then I remember over laying the two images using Photoshop, and the dark green indicated that those two areas were identical.

[​IMG]

I know that the Xeon has two QPI where as the 980x only has one (and that is why you can't put two on a EVGA SR.)

But as I said, during my time reading the enormous amounts of literature I strictly recall mapping the pins for the memory, and ECC used extra pins. Which of course need to be directed to the chipset and supported in the bios or they simply won't function.

Edit. That is the QPI. The 980x has one at the top.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2018