1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Xonar D2X - PCI-Express soundcard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jan 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea all slots get 75W afaik but from what I gather it's 12V only (?) so the amount of amps crossing the slot is kept as low as possible (6.25). Plus, the 12V is run from the additional 4/8-pin connector making it more stable.

This could be crap - I couldn't find a PCI-E white paper on it.

2. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

the back-lit audio jacks look sweet! That's one expensive soundcard though...

3. macrog

macrog What's a Dremel?

The reason to get this is sound quality. I upgraded from a X-Fi Elite Pro to the Xonar D2M and have now upgraded to the D2X. The D2M sounded much better than the X-Fi Elite Pro (more detailed better imaging and bass) and the D2X sounds better again. I guess it is probably due to the pci-e bus being less noisey that the pci bus ?

Its a great card ! I would highly recommend it. I use it to feed a digital signal to a Cambridge Azur 840C to Linn pre/power amps feeding Monitor Audio GS60 speakers. The sound card is cheaper than even any 1 of my power plugs but great quality.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

In the interests of sound quality, an extra step-up DC-DC conversion would be an inferior solution. There's +12V on that bus too, using that would be an arguably better solution. I guess this was a cheap, quick & dirty approach to converting an existing board; stick a floppy socket on it.

5. synack

synack What's a Dremel?

Is there any reason for me to get the PCI-E over the PCI card?

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well I managed to get my hands on one of these for half off so just waiting for it to show up in the mail and I will give my thoughts on it, Im hoping to be blown away compared to my onboard audio. I have games, movies, blu-rays and various music to try out. :)

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Really??? is this like a UK thing or Europe thing where Power Supplies over there dont have a floppy power plug? because here in the USA, I have never seen a PSU, new, old, modular whatever the wattage, they ALL had at least one floppy power plug.

Tags: Add Tags