1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V ASUS Xonar DX Distortion Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 4 Dec 2010.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I had to reinstall my OS tonight. No biggie, took me all of 20 minutes. However, when I reinstalled the ASUS Xonar DX that I have, I used the latest drivers and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to stop distorting the sound from the OS or any files I played.

Has anyone else for a Xonar DX and installed it differently that perhaps I'm missing something? I'm stumped on this one. I've even updated the firmware on the card itself! The sound card was working fine before I rebuilt the OS.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Close all your programs.

Mute and lower the volume to 0, on everything you don't use, including Microphone, CD/Aux, and Line1.

Then go to Start > type: Sound. And open the Sound control panel.
    On the panel that will open, double click on your speakers, go under the Advance tab, and then, in the drop box, select the highest quality sound you can select. Now Click OK, and OK on the previous panel.

Now try.

3. Phalanx

Still the same mate I'm afraid :(

4. GoodBytes

Did you install your chipset drivers? (just in the case that is the problem). Also is your onBoard sound card disabled.

If still no progress, then perhaps it's a bug in the drivers. Uninstall them, restart your computer and download and install 1 version just before it.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I had a very similar problem for ever and ever with my Xonar D2. Killing the 32-bit audio manager task fixed it, if I remember correctly: it was that the two drivers, 32- and 64-bit, were running at once. Killed it, disabled it in msconfig and a couple of reboots, and it never happened again.

(Until a similar but separate problem to do with network activity, though, which was fixed by updating my LAN drivers. So double-check and update all your OTHER drivers too, particularly anything motherboard-related.)

6. Phalanx

I had both of them running, yes. However, disabling one hasn't solved the issue :( Good fid though, boiled_elephant.

I have also definitely disabled the on-board audio. I will check for latest chipsets now.

7. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

On the first computer I used my xonar dx I had problems even with the onboard audio disabled, I had to have the drivers for the motherboard audio installed otherwise I had various problems including strange sounds and the front panel connectors on the sound card refused to work.

8. Phalanx

Ah, interesting! I will install the latest drivers for the onboard ones too then!

9. Phalanx

Right, I have updated all chipset drivers, including the on-board audio that I don't use. I've also updated the BIOS to the latest version and made sure on-board audio is disabled and all settings are correct.

Same problem still occurs. I've also tried disabling HSMgr, both 32 and 64-bit versions, and it still happens. I've also on top of that tried disabling both, and it still occurs. This is really starting to get to me now. :( Really making me think about going back to Creative. I never had problems with their soundcards. That Titanium Fatality is looking pretty sweet about now...

Last edited: 5 Dec 2010
  10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

11. Phalanx

They made it slightly better, but it's still there. Sound still distorts when hitting any bass note. Oh well, I guess I'll start looking at the Creative cards again. Maybe someone on marketplace will have better luck using the DX...

12. Hawkest

Hawkest I got some 4GB new RAM

Did you try rolling back the driver for the Asus sound card?

Have you ruled out the speakers themselves?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

13. Phalanx

I tried the driver from the CD that came with it, and every driver version on the ASUS website, and also the driver wuyanxu mentioned. The speakers are fine because if I use onboard sound, it's perfect.

The Xonar DX also works because before I rebuilt my OS, it was working fine.

14. GoodBytes

Well it's clearly a driver issue, or Win7 issue.

Try this, Move your Xonar to a different PCI (or PCI-E depending on the model) slot and see if there is any progress. Else, re-re-install Win7... and install motherboard, SATA controller, and Sound card then video card drivers.

Come to think about it, I had a similar issue with my laptop sound card when I install Win7 the first time in it. A re-install and install the drivers in a different order, solved the problem.

I never understood why there are no, and I mean NO, company that can make Sound card drivers. They all suck. Creative drivers is so bulky and heavy, it actually slows down Windows startup, and the Audio panel from the sound card takes a moment to startup on MY computer (see signature). It's ridiculous. Not to mention the HUGE battle the consumers needed to do to get them to release Vista and later Win7 drivers. Most likely, when Win8 you will need to buy a new sound card, with the same X-Fi processor, as Creative wanted to do with the Vista and Win7 again.

IDT sound cards don't even make drivers, they just dump the documents to the OEM for them to make the drivers. And as you guessed it, you get crap, like the added software that comes from a system.

SoundMax has moods, works well when it wants to, and RealTek, while the best of them, the sound card didn't evolved since the early days.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2010
  15. davethejackal

davethejackal What's a Dremel?

The solution to this issue is almost ALWAYS that the floppy extra power connector has come loose from the card. Mine was still on the card but not pushed all the way in and had come loose when I installed another card. Make sure it is on properly and 99.9999999% of the time your problem will be solved

16. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

^ this was my experience too with this card

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Normally I'd cry necro, but the information is so useful and so not-reported-anywhere-else-on-the-internet that I'm genuinely grateful.

Or I would normally be: sadly my D2 died not long ago of unknown causes, so I can't play around and confirm/dispute this, but it's good to have the info here for posterity :(

(Also he made an account just to submit this tip, I mean what a trooper)