1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Asus Xonar DX problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by glan, 3 Feb 2011.

1. glan

glan What's a Dremel?

Yesterday I finally got hold of a Xonar DX to go with my Roccat Kave headset. I fitted it into my PC (with all the normal precautions, and with the extra power dongle fitted) and Booted up.
    First thing I did was enter BIOS settings and disabled the on board Audio and then proceeded into Windows.
    In windows I loaded the driver for soundcard, then shut down my machine.
    I connected my headphone cables, and restarted, but I got horrible hissing/buzzing sound in the headphones. :sigh:
    I let windows load, and could faintly hear the windows start tune against the hiss, but the noise was horrendous. :eeek: I unplugged the main headset cable, and the sound dropped, but the side speakers (inside the 5.1 headset) still buzzed.
    worried I would cause damage, I turned off my computer, and removed the sound card (and re-enabling the on board). reconnected my headphones to the onboard, and botted up; Entered into Windows with normal sound.

I was really hoping the soundcard would be an improvement, not a complete disaster. Anyone have any ideas what is causing the horrible feedback/buzzing/hissing? :waah:

System:
    Q6600 (stock, no OC)
    Asus P5k
    Corsair hx620
    OCZ Vertex2 64GB SSD
    Sapphire AMD 6870 (stock, no OC)

thanks in advance, and let me know if you need any more info.

2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Could just be a faulty card, best way to find is just try it in another computer.

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Turn off the Microphone inputs.

4. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yep, the two suggestions above cover pretty much everything.

Can you see the sound you're hearing on the mixer? If it's coming from a microphone or something you'll be able to see the volume bars moving about. If it's a hardware problem it probably won't show up because it's not a sound that's going through windows in any way.

Incidentally I'm selling my DX next week when my new card arrives, hopefully on monday. Less than 6 months old, works perfectly, replacing it with an external soundcard for recording which will also handle output, so the Asus is redundant. PM me if you're interested.

5. glan

glan What's a Dremel?

I don't have a spare rig to try it in... might have to call around my mates and see if anyone is willing to let me try it out in theirs.

I will try this first, it might be the cause, but I am not certain. (i did plug in the Mic from my headset at the time, and didnt think of trying without it).

the headset is powered (through a USB; essentially the cable splits into usb+minijacks right at the end), and according to some browsing online this might be an issue. I will have to see if there is a set of non-powered headphones in the house somewhere... (my old non-powered headset died, hence to Roccat purchase)

^^ I hope I can get mine to work, as it set me back £57. If I cannot get anything sorted (ie it looks like a card fault) I will take it back to the store, and drop you a PM. wish me luck. (or not in your case ;))

thanks for the replies. Will action the above tonight after work.

Glan

6. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

What store has these for £57 ? I just sold my ST Essence on ebay and sold my last DX on here under my last user name.